EEP is confusing and very dark

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1185 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Either EEP is crazy, or it's not working for me as intended. 

For the record, I usually keep my graphics on ultra or close to it. I'm using Firestorm because almost everyone I know does as well. I prefer to set the viewer to "shared environment" because I want to see the same sky that everyone else sees. I don't want to be looking at bright daylight while my friends are all midnight, for example.

Here is my the problem. Under shared environment, for some reason it's constantly dark. Nights are really dark, no surprise. But even the day is too dark. Instead of a bright blue sky, it's a very dark blue.  And the contrast is so high, everything not facing the sun is in a dark shadow and difficult to see. At night I can adjust the gamma level, and that helps, but that resets the next time I log on. I could turn shadows off, and that helps a little, but even with them off, there is still way too much contrast. Don't tell me to just change the windlight - yes that works, but then I won't be seeing the sky in sync with everyone else. 

Also, I can't find any manual or documentation how to use this. It's as if Firestorm just swapped the dashboard of an automobile with the dashboard of a jumbo jet and expects us to be able to figure it out. For example, what does "scale" do? What about "glow focus"? etc.  I've checked the Firestorm site, the EEP blog, and the wiki. They are much more focused on telling us how great this is, or telling you how to make presets. But I could always change my personal windlight before EEP, so I don't see what the difference is there

I consider myself fairly technically minded, and I've been on SL for 11 years, and I can't figure this out. So how is a new person supposed to?

Yes. With EEP, the world is too dark.

When EEP was installed, the default settings for mainland were set too dark by mistake. But no system was provided to change the default settings mainland-wide. Since this happened while "cloud uplift" was still being finished, it didn't get fixed. Now it's stuck behind the map being broken, group messages being broken, etc.

You can make your own view of the world brighter using Environment->Personal Lighting. Turn up "Ambient" a bit. Or "Gamma", just a little. Or just set the time to "Midday". But changing that will freeze the sun in place and you will no longer have a day-night cycle. And the viewer will stop responding to places with their own unique lighting, such as New Babbage, which is always rather foggy by design.

EEP is clever, but like too many Second Life features, work was abandoned at 80% complete.

• Like 2

If you'd like to know a bit more about EEP settings you may want to 1) Poke the "?" sign in upper-right corner of every window inside the viewer for quick help, 2) visit https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_eep and read everything you can or 3) take a peek at this article, as both Firestorm's and Lab's environment editors are very similar:

I do also suggest you to take a look at this topic - it's a bit long read, but you will be able to see reactions of other people and maybe continue conversation there:

you could try calibrating your monitor and ensuring you don't have contrast up way to high, but in general in the FS viewer it is the lighting button on the top left, sure easy go in tweak the ambient a little and you should be good to go. Remember someone set the region light based on how they saw it on their monitor- your might be a high contrast monitor or have different settings than 'most' monitors, or your gamma levels may be off, or your brightness levels. You could even try if you have another monitor laying around, plugging that into your putter see if there is a massive difference between the 2 different monitors

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1185 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.