Blurry/pixelated bom tattoos

Un33

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1199 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm trying to get into creating tattoos and the process for creating them seemed simple enough. Except when I actually try what I created inworld...It always comes out pixelated even with a higher resolution(2048) It looks perfectly fine in photoshop. I've seen and own many beautiful tattoos that are fairly clear. How would I achieve this?

Edited by Un33

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know photoshop, but in gimp when I export to TGA or PNG formats, the program wants to add compression during the save.  Then when you upload to SL, it's further compressed by the import process.  So I always try to remember to disable compression on export saves that I intend to import into SL.  So.  If you are not already doing so, you might check your export save settings and turn off any initial compression pass that might be happening.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/30/2020 at 8:49 PM, Anna Salyx said:

I don't know photoshop, but in gimp when I export to TGA or PNG formats, the program wants to add compression during the save.  ...  So I always try to remember to disable compression on export saves that I intend to import into SL.

The compressions used by TGA and PNG don't degrade image quality. They only affect file size. You won't get better images by turning them off. (Saving as JPEG will degrade your image, no matter how high you set the quality, so use PNG or TGA instead.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 1/1/2021 at 3:32 AM, Quarrel Kukulcan said:

The compressions used by TGA and PNG don't degrade image quality. They only affect file size. You won't get better images by turning them off. (Saving as JPEG will degrade your image, no matter how high you set the quality, so use PNG or TGA instead.)

Good to know.  I learned something new, so today is a good day :) 

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

How big is the tattoo as it appears on the body inworld? The whole upper, or lower, body texture is 1024 x 1024, so, likely, by the time you adjust the size of your tattoo texture so that it appears to be the size you want, it is far smaller in terms of pixels. I recently made a tattoo using a logo that has a lot of fine detail. I started with a 2048 x 2048 texture. I just couldn't get the detail to work in a tattoo the size I wanted because the actual tattoo ended up being about 64 x 64 when it was the size I needed it to be on my avatar.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1199 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.