Custom mesh build

MrMKX

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1292 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, 

I need someone who can build mesh, i have the object build in SL but it taking to many prims, i wish someone to convert to mesh in that way it can decrease the land impact maybe to 1, and i can continue my project.

i have example file,

Please reply here.

Thank you.

a8648f2f94110fc89405511ee6ffcae8.jpg

1 hour ago, Quarrel Kukulcan said:

I don't think I could make a cube with a LI that low.

Oh yes, you can. A cube only needs 12 tris and 24 vertices. That's low enough to stay well and truly below the 1 LI threshold even when you use the same model for all four LoD levels and the physics. ;)

That storage rack looks more like 1,000+ tris though. Getting that down to 1 LI without totally butchering the LoD is not for beginners. I assume the low and lowest LoD model use an impostor which makes it a lot easier but you still have to do some serious and intelligent reduction work on the mid LoD.

5 hours ago, ChinRey said:

That storage rack looks more like 1,000+ tris though. Getting that down to 1 LI without totally butchering the LoD is not for beginners. I assume the low and lowest LoD model use an impostor which makes it a lot easier but you still have to do some serious and intelligent reduction work on the mid LoD.

Exactly that.

So much information gleaned from a single screenshot. Methinks Chinrey has much experience in the design and construction of industrial storage racks for 3D worlds?  🤭

High LOD model, 1282 triangles

High_LOD.thumb.png.663cf3f91b98eebcb27387a3129c912a.png

Medium LOD model, 668 triangles

Medium_LOD.thumb.png.58509b425fca76debd1e75cc617d866c.png

Low, Lowest and Physics model, 10 triangles

LowLowestandPhysics.thumb.png.f651852e3f46713a8eec2baf352d3ae3.png

Texture and UV's, with imposter images outlined in green

651123293_textureandUVs.thumb.png.b5182875744280d0f4bf088d9728b3ca.png

Edited by MiliMigli
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Quarrel Kukulcan said:

How 24? Unless you're not sharing verts & edges across adjacent sides, but you are between the two triangles within each side. I'm guessing you're trying to avoid smoothed inter-face edges?

Each corner vertex will be split into 3 for the vertex normals. Which will point to 3 different directions on a cube which is usually not smoothed.
If you smooth shade the entire cube you can bring it down indeed. But unless you have a synced baked normal map for such a cube, the shading will be awful.
However, there are the UV splits which will increase the vert count still. For classic T shaped cube UVs, the vert count will be 14 for a fully smoothed cube.

Edited by arton Rotaru

7 hours ago, Quarrel Kukulcan said:

How 24? Unless you're not sharing verts & edges across adjacent sides, but you are between the two triangles within each side. I'm guessing you're trying to avoid smoothed inter-face edges?

Yes, I did assume that all vertices would be split.

1 hour ago, Quarrel Kukulcan said:

Is this also true if you instruct the uploader to make edges smooth/sharp based on edge angle?

No. Instructing the uploader to smooth the edges has exactly the same effect as if you smooth them in Blender/Maya.

The uploader will split vertices if the triangles attached to it have different normals, if they have different faces and if the vertice is at an UV map seam.

Split vertices don't actually add much to the download weight. They have exactly the same coordinates so the compression algorithm will eliminate most of the extra data. It's not even unusual that splitting vertices reduces the download weight a little bit.

Edited by ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1292 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.