Suddenly losing more texture quality than usual when uploading

DulceDiva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1257 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When uploading textures in the past few hours,everything was working smoothly for me.All of a sudeen,the textures I uploaded lost quality! I have cleared my cache,my drivers are up to date and I just can't understand what happened.Textures look fine whilst displayed from computer (displaying Local texture on mesh),but when uploading them they lose quality and become blurry.See pictures below for comparison.

LOCAL TEXTURE BEING DISPLAYED ON MESH:

local textures.png

SAME TEXTURE,UPLOADED AND DISPLAYED ON MESH:

uploaded textures.png

Edited by DulceDiva
ADDED DESCRIPTION

Well I can't see much difference in your screenshot (textures get compressed a lot when uploaded to the forums so that is likely it) but I am thinking that it MAY not be "you" so waiting until folks come back to work on Monday may be your only solution. You could try the beta grid and see if things are better there -- assuming you were uploading on the main grid.  Now and then it just isn't "us" :D.  

I noticed on hitting the publish button that this is your first post, so in case you really are new and haven't uploaded textures to SL before then they ALWAYS lose quality  in comparison to what you see as local textures. They get compressed. The best you can do is upload a 2048 and let them turn it into a 1024 (this from a lot of tests a bunch of us did a year or so ago so you should test that yourself again. 

So if this is your first time upload textures -- this is the norm. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info

13 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Well I can't see much difference in your screenshot (textures get compressed a lot when uploaded to the forums so that is likely it) but I am thinking that it MAY not be "you" so waiting until folks come back to work on Monday may be your only solution. You could try the beta grid and see if things are better there -- assuming you were uploading on the main grid.  Now and then it just isn't "us" :D.  

I noticed on hitting the publish button that this is your first post, so in case you really are new and haven't uploaded textures to SL before then they ALWAYS lose quality  in comparison to what you see as local textures. They get compressed. The best you can do is upload a 2048 and let them turn it into a 1024 (this from a lot of tests a bunch of us did a year or so ago so you should test that yourself again. 

So if this is your first time upload textures -- this is the norm. 

Nope,been around for years ,uploaded textures thousands of times before but this is the first time that this has happened to me.Try zooming in on my photos,on the breast area (no pun intended, that's where the quality loss is most obvious).I will wait until Monday and see how it goes,like I said the textures uploaded fine first time and looked just like they did on local,then suddenly distorted upon second time uploading.As for image size,I always work on 1024x1024 😃

Edited by DulceDiva
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 4:58 AM, Whirly Fizzle said:

Looking into that, I was curious about my own preferred resize algorithm in GIMP, which is NoHalo. I noticed that it produces a 'sharper' image without ever understanding why, but now I see it fits in with the reasons explained in Beq's blog post. The second stage of NoHalo is bi-linear interpolation.

https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/138059/what-algorithm-do-the-nohalo-and-lohalo-resize-methods-use-in-gimp

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1257 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.