Alpha Numeric Picker HUD

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1346 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ive been making HUDS for a few months now.  I get the concept of how it all works.  Even finally was able to get the scripts I need to add my Flickr and Instagram to the onscreen HUD.  However I can not find how to build an Alpha Numeric picker HUD.  A HUD that lets you choose to put alpha numeric on your pants, shirt, etc.  I cant find any instructions on how to even start a HUD like that.  can someone point me in the right direction please.

There's no way that you can modify a texture once it has been uploaded, so you can't add letters and numbers to the texture on your shirt itself.  The only way I can think of to do what you are asking for is to create a new object -- something like a transparent billboard with a lot of letter-sized faces on it -- that would be worn on top of the shirt.  Then script that object to display your letters, one on each face. You'll find some nice systems in Marketplace that you can use for that part of it.  I like FURWARE, myself.  It's easy to use and it's free!  The big challenge with creating an attachable billboard like that is that it won't really look like the letters are on the shirt, except by accident. 

Now that I think of it, I suppose if you were very clever indeed, you could make the mesh shirt itself with a load of letter-sized faces built into the mesh.  It might look pretty cool, but it would be a lot of work.

Like Rolig says, those clothing items have been made with an extra layer just above the fabric that consists of a series of square(ish) faces, shaped and rigged to conform to the fabric, on which the letter textures are displayed. (The letter textures are likely a grid of letters that get offset and scaled to show only an individual letter.)

If you buy the demo, then edit it and click on "Select Face" in the build window, you then click on various parts of the demo (especially the text) to see the individual faces. And in conjunction with "Edit Linked", you can see how the various components have been brought together to make the whole item.

So, to do something like this yourself, you need to start with clothing items that have been designed to be used like this: that is, a base that takes the basic fabric texture, and a second layer divided up into individual faces that can display individual letters. Given that an object can have only eight faces, it's inevitable that it'll have to be made up of several linked items to accommodate the likely number of letters that'll be used.

• Thanks 1

You're not going to find a canned system to just plug into your clothes.  As KT Kingsley said,

On 8/14/2020 at 8:30 AM, KT Kingsley said:

to do something like this yourself, you need to start with clothing items that have been designed to be used like this: that is, a base that takes the basic fabric texture, and a second layer divided up into individual faces that can display individual letters. Given that an object can have only eight faces, it's inevitable that it'll have to be made up of several linked items to accommodate the likely number of letters that'll be used.

Once you have done that -- creating your own mesh clothing with that layer of display faces -- then you need to write a script that actually places letters on the faces that you have built into the clothing.  I suggest starting with something like the free FURWARE system that you can get on Marketplace and then writing a script to adapt it for your specific use.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1346 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.