Can not upload

Marianne Little

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1405 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am a bit puzzled why a model will not upload.

It looks normal in blender. Face orientation look correct. I have uploaded same as these before. I have saved this as Collada. I choose export - collada and save as .dae.

When I see it in upload window, it is invisible. But I can calculate weights and fee, add physics from file, calculate weights and fee again, and upload.

I upload it as a coalesced object (this is new, it is usually uploaded as a single one) and dragged it to ground. I paid for it. It was invisible, I could not see it in highlight transparent either.

What did I do wrong?

Upload of previous .dae I had for another project, work normally.

Blender1.png

Blender 2.png

First obvious thing, everything has to be quads or triangles, treying to upload ngons will lead to unpredictable results. You need to clean up those ngons that your holes created.

Second, this is multiple objects, strongly recommended to merge and only upload one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

First obvious thing, everything has to be quads or triangles, treying to upload ngons will lead to unpredictable results.

Not unpredictable but yes, it won't work in a case like this. I do assume Marianne has the Triangulate checkbox checked when she exports from Blender though and that will usually fix any such problems.

This has clearly nothing to do with the actual problem in the original post but since Kyrah brought it up: Any quads and ngongs in the dae file is triangulated byt the uploader so the mesh will always end up with allt riangles. (This is the case with all other game/cirtual world engines too btw.) Assmuin the ngon is "flat" so there's no ambiguity about vertical angels across the surface, the uploader handles convex ngong with fairly sharp angles very well and often better than Blender's automatic triangulation functions. It can struggle a bit with wide angles (but so does Blender) and it can't handle concave ngons at all.

Some examples:

This hexagon isn't going to give the uploader any trouble at all:

bilde.png.3b3b1b2e33eae7e50a38e02e7a0cf3fb.png

This is a bit risky

bilde.png.9fcfec2c4abf971a94f72ec609c14994.png

because you'll end up with one very long and narrow triangle

bilde.png.634c2a93ac25e215e3b671b1f2e29061.png

which can cause issues both with texture mapping and physics.

The uploader can't handle this one at all

bilde.png.53d6d20b5575e6bac57cd72e74d38c55.png

because it will cut the concave corner and give you this:

bilde.png.c84272f001c21c2588d862cb3a34ae78.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

Did you check it in wireframe?

Ah, no. I only thought about transparent.

If I did not have the "triangulate checkbox" checked, I should not be able to upload other .dae files I had made and saved the same way?

4 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

First obvious thing, everything has to be quads or triangles, treying to upload ngons will lead to unpredictable results. You need to clean up those ngons that your holes created.

Second, this is multiple objects, strongly recommended to merge and only upload one.

I have uploaded holes for windows and doors before, so I do not quite understand what you mean by filling. It must be something else? The roof will have 3 skylights and the other holes is for windows. I will make inner walls later.

I can save the rooms and roof as 3 separate ones. and try again.

One thing: I had to take a break, and saved my work as .blend. I opened it later, finished it and then saved it as collada. I know we can't upload blender files.

Should I have saved the unfinished work as .dae? It is hard to search for uploads to Second Life.

21 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Ah, no. I only thought about transparent.

You probably won't be able to see it in wireframe either but it's worth checking.

22 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

If I did not have the "triangulate checkbox" checked, I should not be able to upload other .dae files I had made and saved the same way?

What you would get, is something like this. Here's a square with an opening in Blender:

bilde.png.6e73c4b76b542e00ee6e6bee38305469.png

Imported to SL with the uploader doing the triangulation:

bilde.png.fe1201f70ed10e45af849dc376795a68.png

In wireframe mode:

bilde.png.a16323b86b5ceb1234f46b75ad91e433.png

As you see, the uploader connects three of the outer corners of the big ngon withuot taking the bend around the hole into account. This means there is one big triangle covering half the hole.

Interesting and useful as this is to know, I think it's a digression in thread though. I can't imagine that triangulation can go so wrong it collapses the entire model. There must be something else.

Looking closer at your pictures, I notice you haven't applied the scale of the meshes and it's not even uniform scale. That is something that is bound to cause all sorts of problems but again, it's hard to see how it can cause the model to vanish completely. It's still something you want to fix though and thinkign about it gives me another idea for a possible explanation: are there any modfiers that haven't been applied too?

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

You probably won't be able to see it in wireframe either but it's worth checking.

What you would get, is something like this. Here's a square with an opening in Blender:

bilde.png.6e73c4b76b542e00ee6e6bee38305469.png

Imported to SL with the uploader doing the triangulation:

bilde.png.fe1201f70ed10e45af849dc376795a68.png

In wireframe mode:

bilde.png.a16323b86b5ceb1234f46b75ad91e433.png

As you see, the uploader connects three of the outer corners of the big ngon withuot taking the bend around the hole into account. This means there is one big triangle covering half the hole.

Interesting and useful as this is to know, I think it's a digression in thread though. I can't imagine that triangulation can go so wrong it collapses the entire model. There must be something else.

Looking closer at your pictures, I notice you haven't applied the scale of the meshes and it's not even uniform scale. That is something that is bound to cause all sorts of problems but again, it's hard to see how it can cause the model to vanish completely. It's still something you want to fix though and thinkign about it gives me another idea for a possible explanation: are there any modfiers that haven't been applied too?

I have only used Boolean, I know so little about Blender. I can only make the most basic. But I will open SL Beta now and see how it goes. I thought it was maybe Firestorm that had a problem, but since I can upload other meshes... can't be that either.

I can understand it if I got a message like "Can't upload". The strange is that it let me upload. I have never come longer than "Calculate weights and fee" if I try to upload something wrong.

It is uploaded as a coalesced object symbol - that has not happened before.

I can see nothing in wireframe. I have tried to look up, zoom out wide and close, have pulled it out several times.

Blender 3.png

Blender 4.png

30 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Now comes the very stupid question: Where do I apply scale in Blender? I must have unintentionally clicked something, since this happened, and I must apply again. 😔

I still use 2.79 and I'm not sure if this has changed in 2.8 but at least it used to be in object mode select object, hit Ctrl+A and choose "Apply scale" in the menu that pops up.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, OptimoMaximo said:

To me, it's the unapplied scale in blender. It reverts to be so small that it can't even be seen. 

That was my initial thought too but the scale for the selected object at least is less than 10 and if these really are parts of a house the effect shouldn't be anywhere near as drastic as that.

• Thanks 1

I got help from the lovely Aquila Kytori ❤️

I must write it down but it was fixed when using Collada (default) (.dae) and then Operator - presets - SL+Open Sim static. ❤️

I have only used to import .dae file without going through the last step.

Edit: And I applied all transforms first.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1405 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.