Clothing With Materials Issues

Rhun DeCuir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1418 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I and my friends are starting to see more and more clothing - including from big name creators - that are obviously not tested/viewed under Advanced Lighting before being put up for sale.  One well known maker has some very nice t-shirts, but I won't buy them because they look like shiny plastic under ALM.  I recently asked a friend of mine why she was wearing a latex dress, when that is totally not her style.  When she turned on ALM, she was horrified.  She paid bug bucks for a dress that makes her look like a walking mirror.

This is an appeal to clothing makers to please check the materials glossiness of your clothing under ALM.  Materials and ALM are being used more and more.  There is no excuse for ignoring them.

• Like 1

Wondering if this is an EEP issue and the designers don't know that "some" folks now have EEP and are not testing using the Linden Viewer.  This "might" work itself out when Firestorm has EEP and more people are using it.   

That being said, if there is STILL a materials issues (my test this week showed great improvement in the Linden Viewer) I doubt that all creators will redo their older products because of the problem. Maybe the best sellers and hopefully the NEW products.   

Are the people seeing the issue using the Linden viewer?   Aside from some shiny hair, I haven't run up against your problem in the past and I have been using ALM since it came back (and Firestorm). 

• Like 1

I doubt any serious designer/creator do not work with ALM enabled. But I noticed lot of creators/designers going on vogue with über shinny products, be it clothing or makeup, lipstick, eye shadow. And yes, it looks terrible, when glossiness and environment values not used wise and discreet and if normal and spectacular maps not well made.

8 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Wondering if this is an EEP issue and the designers don't know that "some" folks now have EEP and are not testing using the Linden Viewer.  This "might" work itself out when Firestorm has EEP and more people are using it.   

That being said, if there is STILL a materials issues (my test this week showed great improvement in the Linden Viewer) I doubt that all creators will redo their older products because of the problem. Maybe the best sellers and hopefully the NEW products.   

Are the people seeing the issue using the Linden viewer?   Aside from some shiny hair, I haven't run up against your problem in the past and I have been using ALM since it came back (and Firestorm). 

I use Firestorm, so it's not EEP.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rachel1206 said:

I doubt any serious designer/creator do not work with ALM enabled. But I noticed lot of creators/designers going on vogue with über shinny products, be it clothing or makeup, lipstick, eye shadow. And yes, it looks terrible, when glossiness and environment values not used wise and discreet and if normal and spectacular maps not well made.

They're doing this on purpose?!?!?!  

Most cloth should have NO glossiness at all!

15 hours ago, Rachel1206 said:

As ugly as full bright mesh avatars? :P

But ALM isn't the only graphics setting that affects the specular intensity. The Shadows and to some extent Ambient Occlusion settings are also vital. Here's an example using Firestorm's two highest default settings, both using ALM but only one of them using Shadows and ambient occlusion:

bilde.png.06ea724d5cb7303ca2897cf204b128b3.png

bilde.png.62848b2e64fc8515e26a036b022825d4.png

A specular map that looks perfect with Ambient Occlusion and Shadows will be very exaggerated without them and one that looks great without will hardly be noticeable with them. I once filed a JIRA about it and it was rejected as expected behaviour.

I'm not sure how many people have Ambient Occlusion and Shadows switched on but Ultra is the only of the seven default settings that includes them.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1418 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.