Problem with freezing when refreshing to take a picture

Jaide Beck

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1402 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

That most likely means that your computer isn't up to the job you are asking it to do. That used to happen to me long ago when I tried to turn on shadows (BAAAAAD PLAN back then).   Try taking a photo with JUST the SL viewer and not everything else (well that seems pretty obvious but maybe not LD).    ALSO if that doesn't help you could lower your expectations by taking a smaller photo or turning off some of the settings in your viewer. It would likely be good to post your computer specs for better help. You can find those under HELP in the viewer.  

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling

I have a pc with 1000 ram dedicated to dual card, 16 Gb ram, 4.? processor, 2 tb of hd. Never gave me a problem until now. I reinstalled Firestorm and it seems to be gone. :) No more freezy.

Edited by Jaide Beck

17 minutes ago, Jaide Beck said:

Ugh, it started up again. :( Is this a glitch?

I have been taking photos for more than an hour plus others earlier in the day. No problems. On Firestorm, mid ultra 5000 resolution.  So not a universal problem. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling

See this thread.  I had some nasty black screen crashes a couple of weeks ago (and more) which eventually SEEMED to be linked to having the Opensim viewer also on my machine.   It also could have been sim related. After a CLEAN install of FS and removal of the Opensim FS viewer (which was supposed to be safe to run alongside :D) the problem pretty much went away. I only had one more occasion and that could have been too much heavy mesh as it was on a sim I was looking at to rent and hadn't been there before. 

There is also a post above mine in the Technology section talking about black screen freezes with incoming IMs and such. So possibly also related.

While my problem started with taking off and putting on clothing, it got so I just crashed in a few seconds by doing NOTHING.  

OH I appreciate that. I don't have open sim on my machine, I used to a long time ago, but not anymore. I just have firestorm, the newest one. I did a clean reinstall too, hopefully they'lll let me know, I notified them of the issue in case anyone else is having this problem too. :) I appreciate it. 

Yours is a question for the Answers section of the forum. You'll get better tech help there.

When you ask a tech question post the info from the viewer's HELP->About... section. Without that info people are wildly guessing at what the problem may be.

Different viewers have different known problems. So, the first troubleshooting step is to test with the Linden made SL Viewer, the default. You should always have that viewer installed for troubleshooting. If that is your preferred viewer, pick another to have as a backup and troubleshooter.

If the problem is present in both then it is your computer or SL. If only in one then it is a viewer related issue. FS pretty much has 24x7 support. So, you can ask in the Support group in-world and almost always get an answer about whether it is a known problem. If it is they likely have a wiki page that tells how to fix it or work around it.

I'm not currently using FS for my photos, Black Dragon. I do recall FS having a problem with a certain size large image. But, it may have been the previous version (before 6.3.9).

With large image capture there is a pause/freeze. The larger the image the longer the pause. But, it is like 2 to 3 seconds. No black screen.

If you are using Intel HD Graphics and are low on memory you might get a black screen as it swaps memory into and out of the disk. But, without tech info I can't know if that is a reasonable guess.

On 7/13/2020 at 7:19 AM, Jaide Beck said:

It freezes everything, the video I am watching, my pc, everything. Help? 

It is mostly because your computer can't handle higher graphics settings and/or it cannot handle advanced lighting model. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1402 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.