Exit Basic Mode

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

That is a very good point, Peewee.

For a Mac user, applications don't normally quit when you close the last window. They didn't use to anyway, although more and more programs do quit these days when you close the last open window, so it is perfectly possible they will be slightly confused about this. (And no wisecracks about confused mac users, thank you very much :P (Broken is OK, but not confused :D))

- Luc -

Luc Starsider wrote:

That is a very good point, Peewee.

For a Mac user, windows don't normally close when you close them. They didn't use to anyway, although more and more programs do quit these days when you close the last open window, so it is perfectly possible they will be slightly confused about this. 

It's been 10 years since that's been true.

(I had to edit a sentence in the post you quoted; It didn't make any sense the way it was written).

Not sure what has not been true for 10 years. There are plenty of applications around that do not quit when you close the last window. Even single-window applications. More of them do than before, that is true, but not all of them.

10 years ago was when os x was introduced. I didn't put my hands on the os until, I think, 10.2, and as far as I recall, you had to pretty much close every program by pressing cmd-q or choosing the quit menu item. It was annoying beyond proportion to me that system prefs didn't shut down when I closed window. I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think the option of quitting the app on closing the last window was available in 10.2. I don't think so. If it was available, nobody used it. 

Unless there is an application template available these days where the option is enabled by default (I haven't opend XCode for a long time, so I have no idea what's in ther now), it is up to the developer to actually enable it. In some cases it does not make sense to quit the app, but in many cases it does. Which is why you see a bit of both, even today.

Luckily, the SL viewer does quit on closing the (only) window, so it may not be an issue at all (which I also said above). Regardless, it would not hurt to have a quit button/menu item available somewhere in 'basic' mode.

- Luc -

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.