Body copy-please redirect me if answered.

Pegi Tuck

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1415 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am playing with demos and can't always get back my previous look. I have tried writing down all the shape settings.

I want to make an exact copy of a body with parts from different creators. Just the body, head, eyes, shape and brow. Such as Lara and Catwa etc.

I see the ability to save an outfit. I see I can save a shape. 

Would someone mind letting me know if I can make a copy somehow?

Thanks in advance 

Edited by Pegi Tuck

5 answers to this question

Yes.  You can make a backup copy of your shape.  In your inventory, right click it, choose Copy.  Then go to a folder where you want to store it, right click, choose Paste.

Another way to save a copy of your shape is to choose Save As, and then give it a different name, like "Copy of Lindal's Shape"

Whenever you make an Outfit, a Link to all of the items you selected to be saved will be created and saved within that particular Outfit's folder.

You can also make copies of attachments, unless they are No Copy.  This is particularly handy if you want to save certain settings, for example in a body HUD.  Just be sure that when you save the Outfit that it's a part of, you have 1) made a backup copy of the HUD before you fiddled with the settings, and 2) Save the adjusted HUD in another place.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Yes.  You can make a backup copy of your shape.  In your inventory, right click it, choose Copy.  Then go to a folder where you want to store it, right click, choose Paste.

Another way to save a copy of your shape is to choose Save As, and then give it a different name, like "Copy of Lindal's Shape"

Whenever you make an Outfit, a Link to all of the items you selected to be saved will be created and saved within that particular Outfit's folder.

You can also make copies of attachments, unless they are No Copy.  This is particularly handy if you want to save certain settings, for example in a body HUD.  Just be sure that when you save the Outfit that it's a part of, you have 1) made a backup copy of the HUD before you fiddled with the settings, and 2) Save the adjusted HUD in another place.

Thank you so much!!!!

6 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

This is particularly handy if you want to save certain settings, for example in a body HUD.  Just be sure that when you save the Outfit that it's a part of, you have 1) made a backup copy of the HUD before you fiddled with the settings, and 2) Save the adjusted HUD in another place.

Am I supposed to be saving different HUDs I use for every look I want saved?

Reason I ask is that I can't seem to save exact outfits with the appearances thing when using BOM. It affects the lipstick for instance in all outfits even if I only intended to change it in only one (if I use a HUD).

Also instead of trying to match head and body skins with those dragon looking thingy's isn't a full system skin better, and won't this work as a base for BOM?

5 hours ago, 2020ad said:

Reason I ask is that I can't seem to save exact outfits with the appearances thing when using BOM. It affects the lipstick for instance in all outfits even if I only intended to change it in only one (if I use a HUD).

Is this correct - you do use a BOM base for your skin, but you apply make-up via a HUD applier?

In that case, you could work with several copies of your mesh head, each with different make-up applied. I'd make new subfolders for each copy and name them with keywords, since you cannot change the item name.

Copies of the HUD won't make a difference when saving, because the HUD content is already applied to the head.

Now, with BOM make-up, you wouldn't need a new head copy, since make-up would quite likely be saved as tattoo layers and as part of the outfit. 

5 hours ago, 2020ad said:

Also instead of trying to match head and body skins with those dragon looking thingy's isn't a full system skin better, and won't this work as a base for BOM?

Dragon things?

If you mean classic system skins from the pre-meshbody days, you'll quite likely end up with plain ugly mismatching on fingers and toes. The old textures stretch differently on those areas and while there are patches for it to blend out fingernails painted onto the texture, it usually doesn't look good.

4 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Is this correct - you do use a BOM base for your skin, but you apply make-up via a HUD applier?

In that case, you could work with several copies of your mesh head, each with different make-up applied. I'd make new subfolders for each copy and name them with keywords, since you cannot change the item name.

Copies of the HUD won't make a difference when saving, because the HUD content is already applied to the head.

Now, with BOM make-up, you wouldn't need a new head copy, since make-up would quite likely be saved as tattoo layers and as part of the outfit. 

Dragon things?

If you mean classic system skins from the pre-meshbody days, you'll quite likely end up with plain ugly mismatching on fingers and toes. The old textures stretch differently on those areas and while there are patches for it to blend out fingernails painted onto the texture, it usually doesn't look good.

Actually I have a Maitreya Lara body now (updated) and that free Catwa Freeya head. Using the HUDS, I was trying to match the head to body but kept getting a line so decided on what I thought was BOM skins, but they replace the classic system skin. The dragon icon layers (tattoo layers), don't seem to have full head and body that match. I was trying to use them for make up, but this was where the problem came in.

It appears the HUDS place whatever type of layer over everything else and I can't seem to clear them without having a jacked up appearance that I have to keep fixing whenever I log back into 2nd life. The Maitreya body keeps coming back without the breasts or nipple. I simply add and click the add on HUD to fix it, but also the catwa head keeps giving me back the hot pink lips over the red lips tatto layer I decided to apply.

The last thing I was trying to do was forget about the HUDS altogether but I need to at least keep adding the Maitreya HUD to clear out that double body look. Everything is fine after I do it, but it seems like a lot of work for something that is supposed to be the latest and greatest. I bought a few full avatars when I first joined and hadn't learned about this BOM thing yet and mixed and matched and the results seemed more appealing with many fewer headaches

Edited by 2020ad
to make clearer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1415 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.