Prims & mesh disappear when zooming.

Zane Skizm

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1459 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey residents!
I'm a little confused, I've already tried a lot of things but now I need your advice!

I have made a pair of shoes, wanted to exhibit them now and am faced with the problem that depending on how you zoom in, the objects will disappear at once. It's not even specifically mesh, but also single prims. 

Which is also interesting, at high graphics settings, but showing less objects can solve the problem to a certain extent, but who does that to go shopping for a short time. However, on low graphics settings and displaying many objects, the problem occurs again, sometimes worse than normal.

I tried it with low-poly and also tried to change something in the uploads, but unfortunately nothing helped. The parts have just 2 prim.

Are there any scripts that can "render" the whole other part? Maybe someone can help me.  

xoxo zane

unknown.png

On 5/22/2020 at 2:51 PM, Zane Skizm said:

Hey residents!
I'm a little confused, I've already tried a lot of things but now I need your advice!

I have made a pair of shoes, wanted to exhibit them now and am faced with the problem that depending on how you zoom in, the objects will disappear at once. It's not even specifically mesh, but also single prims. 

Which is also interesting, at high graphics settings, but showing less objects can solve the problem to a certain extent, but who does that to go shopping for a short time. However, on low graphics settings and displaying many objects, the problem occurs again, sometimes worse than normal.

I tried it with low-poly and also tried to change something in the uploads, but unfortunately nothing helped. The parts have just 2 prim.

Are there any scripts that can "render" the whole other part? Maybe someone can help me.  

xoxo zane

unknown.png

If you put too many polygons in a small area you'll get items disappearing like that. This JIRA describes it but it's not considered a "bug" so the behavior won't change.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-9439

• Thanks 1

Hey Residents,

and thanks for the answers. I didn't know the article by Jira yet, but I thought something like that. I also tried baking high-poly to low-poly and making it as a display, but then the prims are too high. Also tried to write a script to render the shoes upside down, so when you stand further away they become invisible and only visible when you get closer. But the script didn't work or it exceeds my ability. Now I put simple shoe katongs and made it as a shelf. 

Because one of my wishes was to have a whole wall in SL full of my favourite shoes in RL ^^'' 

And I don't think anyone is going to keep switching graphics settings to go in-world shopping. And many of them don't have the possibility to do so because of an older laptop/PC etc.

xoxo zane

020-05-24 153246.jpg

5 hours ago, Zane Skizm said:

I also tried baking high-poly to low-poly and making it as a display, but then the prims are too high.

Yes, when you rez your object in-world, you get charged land impact. Wearables don't pay that price. And for wearables, the lower levels of detail are rarely seen, because the level of detail is based on the entire avatar size, not the size of the individual object. (Plus there's a 2x boost due to a bug.)

shoesdetail.thumb.png.e0db4b12f0845b172c43d046c12cb9ba.png

Here's a pair of shoes custom made for animesh. Animesh don't get the allowances for excessive detail that avatars do, so they need clothing with good LOD models. Like these, which are 5 LI rezzed standalone.

Typical SL shoes have 20x the triangle count of these, so if you  rez them in world, you get a huge land impact.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, animats said:

Yes, when you rez your object in-world, you get charged land impact. Wearables don't pay that price. And for wearables, the lower levels of detail are rarely seen, because the level of detail is based on the entire avatar size, not the size of the individual object. (Plus there's a 2x boost due to a bug.)

shoesdetail.thumb.png.e0db4b12f0845b172c43d046c12cb9ba.png

Here's a pair of shoes custom made for animesh. Animesh don't get the allowances for excessive detail that avatars do, so they need clothing with good LOD models. Like these, which are 5 LI rezzed standalone.

Typical SL shoes have 20x the triangle count of these, so if you  rez them in world, you get a huge land impact.

Thank you very much for your answer. I haven't dealt with Animesh yet. I don't know what's different about it (apart from animation possibilities) when exporting etc. 

But I have found a solution which I fortunately like. One never stops learning and is still at the beginning. 

16 hours ago, Zane Skizm said:

Thank you very much for your answer. I haven't dealt with Animesh yet. I don't know what's different about it (apart from animation possibilities) when exporting etc.

It's not that it's animesh specifically. (I don't know why shoes would need their own, separate, internal animation skeleton anyway.) You get the same behavior from a mesh with no skeleton at all, as well as prims.

An avatar-rigged or -fitted mesh, while worn, swaps down to its lower-detail versions at vastly greater distances than standard. Other creations drop down normally.

Edited by Quarrel Kukulcan

19 hours ago, Zane Skizm said:

I also tried baking high-poly to low-poly and making it as a display, but then the prims are too high.

This would indicate that you messed something up. Simpler mesh doesn't have higher LI. (You should always bake high-poly to low-poly in the first place.)

When you are importing mesh, look at the different weight values.

• If the download weight is high, make the lower LODs simpler.
  • If the server weight is high, include a simple cube for the physics shape.
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1459 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.