Single Use Item?

WinstonEverlast

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1461 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am new to scripting and trying to work things out but need some direction. I am scripting a LSD trip (basically a HUD that has moving textures, starts when you attach it and ends after a period of time). I've been able to figure out everything I need except for how to make it a "single use" object, so that the user can only wear it one time and it can't be used again. I've done some searches but haven't found anything, which tells me I'm likely looking up the wrong thing.

Could someone point me in the right direction?

My personal method, which completely prevents any possible re-use is to have "used" (as per @Wulfie Reanimator's example) start as true, and switch to false if during state_entry() the owner of the object is "you".

This makes the script reset proof and you don't even need to set the object as no-mod as long as the script is no-copy no-mod. If they try to reset it, the item will simply become "used"

I've used state changes for that. Set the item to be given in a state called "unused" and does it things and then does a reset script at the end and the default state handles any "I can't be used anymore" messages and actions on the attach handlers and state entry.  set the script to nocoy and voila.  :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1461 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.