MLPV2 Not requesting permission to animate

Topo Nightfire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, i have recently purchased MLVP2.3. I have set up all the scripts and notecards for a four pose object, with appropriate animations. Everything works fine until i sit on a pose ball, i do not get a request to animate my avatar, and it is not hidden. Any suggestions please.

I guess I'd start by checking if somehow the object got accidentally muted -- either check your blocked objects list or have somebody else try to use the item.

Next I'd make sure that all the scripts were set Running; if things go wrong during setup for example, they can be set not running. It's the ~poser scripts that ask for permissions but it could be any of the scripts that tell ~poser that it should ask permission -- including script(s) in the rezzed poseballs.

Yeah, it's quite ancient, and I don't think I have anything rezzed out anywhere that still uses it; if I did, I'd check whether it asks for animation permission before rezzing the poseballs, but I kinda doubt it would because I'm not sure how it would know who all to ask until avatars sit on the poseballs.

I also worried about the "purchased" thing because I remember MLP being free open source for a very long time (and maybe forever?).

Unless one has a distinct attachment to poseballs, there are a lot of other free options now, including AVsitter and nPose.

Modern "multipose" scripts control animation and position of multiple avatars without using poseballs. All avatars sit on the same object (usually with a separate link for each sit target) and the scripts manage which avatars get which animations and where those avatars are positioned.

The history here is really old, but IIRC it all started shifting away from poseballs when llSetLinkPrimitiveParams* could move seated avatars as "links".

Anyway, if the backup singers really need to see poseballs in order to know which particular position they'll assume (as opposed to sitting in a specific order or navigating some menus to swap them around to the correct role) maybe MLP would still be easiest... although at least AVsitter** has a built-in way to do it by assigning them according to which of the links they sit on.

• Like 1

I don't think it's very different from how MLP works in that regard, at least in the standard way both work. When the singer changes the "pose" it can affect the animations and locations of any or all of the sitters at the same time -- it just depends what's defined for that (sync'd) pose. By default, any sitter can change the pose, but if that's a problem I understand this can be overridden using the "AVcontrol" plugin so only one sitter has control (although I don't think I've ever done that myself). And practically anything can be scripted using the AVsitter API, if it came to that, but that's usually for quite specialized uses. 

Just in case: AVsitter is open source software downloadable for free from https://avsitter.github.io ... I'm not promoting it, it's just the multi-sitter package I have the most experience using these days. In fact, this is all pretty far afield of the mission of this particular subforum, although I'm not sure where it would belong, other than maybe Answers, but it's kinda too late for that.

AVSitter will allow to write scripts that can give you options on how you control animation changes.  You'd create a simple separate script to use an event (like "timer" or "listen") to send a linked message that triggers an animation change.

if (msg == "doowop2") llMessageLinked(LINK_SET,90000,"Doo_Wop2","");

As far as your original problem with MLVP2.3... take a look at the system tab for your notifications to see if the object isn't asking for permissions there.  If you see something like "Topo'sObject, an object owned by TopoNightfire would like to: Animate your avatar." in your notifications, you may have your "notification toast life" value set too short in preferences.

Edited by Edie Shoreland
answer original question

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.