scripts that might cause a lot of lag

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1482 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello there,

I don't have a lot  of knowledge about scripts. I would need your help to classify the things that are very greedy in scripts and able to cause a lot of lag in a sim, from the most important (most greedy, most able to cause some lag) to the less important, among following things:

1°) a small shop full of many vendors (you know those panels related to Caspervend that you click on to buy things in shops),

2°) 2 bots avatars (automated avis),

3°) 6 breedable dogs,

4°) 7 games tables,

5°) 2 animesh horses

Thanks in advance for helping me to classify them!

depends on how well scripted the stuff is, but breedables, [status variables updated every timer-tick in the script, rarely have a standby state when not interacted with], bot avs [depending on what they have on/do], animesh [especially if they're roamers], gametables[they can/probably do pull a full standby state if not used, active ones can be a little rough], then store[vendors can pull the same standby state when not used, generally don't pull anything too crazy anyway] to my end

Edited by NiteRider Kahane

Automated avatars don't require any scripts to function. They're literally just automated viewers, so the "code" that runs is on the computer the bot is connecting from. (In fact a lot of the things bots are used for are things that scripts literally cannot do, like sending group invites, IMs in a tab with responses, sending messages to group chats, etc.)

I don't know exactly how breedables tend to be just god awful, but animesh is much lighter than breedables that are animated without animesh. With animesh, you just do "one thing" and the animation plays without using any script resources.. unless it has lots of constantly changing animations. Without animesh, you need to do lots of things to move every part of the breedable. The "species" doesn't matter, so asking about "dogs vs horses" is kind of pointless.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2020 at 6:26 PM, Selen Minotaur said:

I don't have a lot  of knowledge about scripts. I would need your help to classify the things that are very greedy in scripts and able to cause a lot of lag in a sim, from the most important (most greedy, most able to cause some lag) to the less important, among following things:

I would be reluctant to classify things with broad-brush strokes. As with most things, some scripters are simply better, more aware, more experienced, and yes, even care more, than others. 

I'm a bit confused that you left out the greediest of all: residents. 

On 4/1/2020 at 6:26 PM, Selen Minotaur said:

I don't have a lot  of knowledge about scripts.

What about lag? This is probably one of the most challenging things to understand. If you want any further help with this, please see this article and related links to get you started Firestorm Wiki - Lag Info

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1482 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.