HUDS and Lag

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1602 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have never used a hud for my SL building.

I bought one to try it out and see how I like it.   So, how do I like it?   Well, firstly, I think it's extra work and I do not understand exactly how to use it yet.     

But, the lag issue is really my dilemma and concern:  I currently work mostly in "TinyLand" and make items for Dinkies, Tinies, Titchies and some Petites (tiny winged fairies).   Okay, "TinyLand" is a very low lag, low triangle kind of a place and existence...so how much lag will huds add to the actual object...let's say a one-face texture hud for a dress?  Any ballpark idea of how much lag it could add or advice you can give on a low lag hud?  Because I don't know if I should start to use huds.  I'd say the tinies are mostly hud-free other than animation things and perhaps hair and I'm wondering if part of our low-lag life is because we are mostly hud-free.  

Edited by FairreLilette

the only time we include a HUD is when the object textures can be changed

the downside is that a HUD will add scripts to the region server as you mention. At least one in the HUD (when worn) and one in the object

if do make/distribute HUDs then best to have a way for the object/hud customer to delete the script in the object after they have used the HUD to re-texture a copy of the object. Which eliminates the script on server issue

HUDs have an advantage in that only one object and one HUD need to be included in the sale box.

for example

Sale box - No HUD

- Blue Dinkie

- Red Dinkie

- Green Dinkie

- Pink Dinkie

Sale box HUD

- Dinkie

- HUD

customer then uses the HUD to texture copies. Ends in folder with

Dinkie

HUD

My Blue Dinkie

My Pink Dinkie

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mollymews said:

the only time we include a HUD is when the object textures can be changed

the downside is that a HUD will add scripts to the region server as you mention. At least one in the HUD (when worn) and one in the object

if do make/distribute HUDs then best to have a way for the object/hud customer to delete the script in the object after they have used the HUD to re-texture a copy of the object. Which eliminates the script on server issue

HUDs have an advantage in that only one object and one HUD need to be included in the sale box.

for example

Sale box - No HUD

- Blue Dinkie

- Red Dinkie

- Green Dinkie

- Pink Dinkie

Sale box HUD

- Dinkie

- HUD

customer then uses the HUD to texture copies. Ends in folder with

Dinkie

HUD

My Blue Dinkie

My Pink Dinkie

The thing is Molly...it's probably easier to just include the different colors separately in a Fatpack - that is what many "tiny" creators are doing because it's probably easier to just change colors than make a copy and modify it.  I'm trying to think of younger users here too.

I think huds were originally designed for creators so they could change back and forth textures in an instant to see which one they wanted to use for their object, and then people decided to use huds for everything.

The problem I'm seeing with huds is not only more work, but I don't see how an AO which looks a mess is going to look good in the ready-made kind of hud I can buy.  It needs the actual AO of each color to change the texture for mesh items and these look horrible.  So, I'd probably need to resize the boxes of the buttons in the hud so it doesn't show the whole AO.

I just don't know if it's for me.  It's a lot more work unless I use one with just color buttons only and not one that shows the textures and that sounds like some kind of RGB hud and I have AO'S not RGB stuff.  

• Like 1

For most things I prefer fatpacks of items over huds.  SOME things (let'st take sunglasses for instance) that might have sizing and lens colors and frame colors and glow and shine etc etc === that would be way too many pairs of glasses.  But I think keeping is simple is a good plan.  For "some" things you can use a simple and OLD STYLE blue pop up method.  I still use that and never have used huds. Trompe Loeil also uses that old method :D so I am in good company.   

It is important to note though that huds only contribute to lag when they are WORN. So as long as people don't leave the huds on the screen it isn't really a lag issue.   I don't even keep my alpha hud on my screen any longer. I put all my often used huds in the new "favorite items" panel in Firestorm.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

The thing is Molly...it's probably easier to just include the different colors separately in a Fatpack

is perfectly fine to keep doing this for your market

my thoughts inflenced by what I buy

i buy clothes.  I bought a top 2 days ago. In the box was a top for:

Belleza Freya Natural, Belleza Freya Perky, Belleza Isis Natural, Belleza Venus Natural,  Maitreya, Slink Hourglass, Slink Physique, V-Tech

and a Texture HUD with 18 texture changeouts

a sweater and skirt I bought yesterday from another shop

eBody Curvy, Freya Natural, Hourglass, Isis, Legacy, Maitreya

this HUD has 34 texture changeouts

so for these multi-body garments can understand why the merchants include a HUD. With the sweater/skirt then 6 bodies * 34 textures = 204 item Fatpack

in your case if you doing less than 10 say items in a fat pack then that would be fine

in the sweater/skirt box I got 17 items. Not counting LM and notecard

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1602 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.