Can anyone get this working 100% under linux?

orchardstreet

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1534 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The linden labs SL viewer is fine but voice chat doesn't work
Firestorm works great and voice chat works but the avatar makes a full stop and I have to press forward again every 5 seconds (not lag or low FPS, anyone know how to fix this??)
Cool VL works great but voice doesn't work and also has the stuck-every-5-seconds avatar issue

anyone use ubuntu 18.04 and can give a list of packages to install for voice-chat, no glitches, and a good viewer?

thanks! :)

Edited by orchardstreet
update

3 hours ago, orchardstreet said:

The linden labs SL viewer is fine but voice chat doesn't work
Firestorm works great and voice chat works but the avatar makes a full stop and I have to press forward again every 5 seconds (not lag or low FPS, anyone know how to fix this??)
Cool VL works great but voice doesn't work and also has the stuck-every-5-seconds avatar issue

anyone use ubuntu 18.04 and can give a list of packages to install for voice-chat, no glitches, and a good viewer?

thanks! :)

I have recently gotten voice to work using this guide:
https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_voice#tab-linux

Note that I had been installing all these libs (libidn11:i386, libuuid1:i386, libstdc++6:i386), but still couldn't get it to work until I noticed the somewhat hidden line which says "Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia / Ubuntu 18.04 bionic: You will probably need to install libpulse-mainloop-glib0:i386" and once I did that, everything worked. Note that this last one will pull in several more dependencies, but hey, it works now!
(P.S. I am on Kubuntu 19.10, Firestorm and I do not recognise your movement issues at all)

Edited by Fritigern Gothly
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

While this will not answer the body of your OP, it does answer the thread title: Firestorm works just fine - without any extra steps - under Manjaro 5.4.18 (an Arch based distribution).

if you hold down the forward button, you do not stop moving and have to repress it?

this isn't about lag, like my avi comes to a full stop every 5 seconds on multiple viewers

That almost sounds like a keyboard "feature".  A long time ago I had a keyboard that would allow programming macros on any key.  I noticed that holding a key down continuously resulted in the computer only seeing the key held for a few seconds.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, orchardstreet said:

if you hold down the forward button, you do not stop moving and have to repress it?

this isn't about lag, like my avi comes to a full stop every 5 seconds on multiple viewers

Normal movement expectations.

Though as Ardy points out above, that does not sound much like it could be related to the Viewer. Meh, at least if you decide to swap distros and it still happens, you'll have your answer.

Though do note - at least for me - the Manjaro 5.5 based kernels are having an issue with some normal and dkms packages, video drivers included. Could just be the Valve distributed fsync enabled kernel that's having the problem (can't get it to build even the non-dkms driver packages at present) but still, something to be wary of.

57 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

That almost sounds like a keyboard "feature".  A long time ago I had a keyboard that would allow programming macros on any key.  I noticed that holding a key down continuously resulted in the computer only seeing the key held for a few seconds.

it doesn't happen to me in singularity viewer eg, but it does happen for me in firestorm and cool VL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1534 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.