new challenge

BBCLover92 Snowfox

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1545 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello community,

lately i challenged myself with tattoo creation 

and to put it frankly... i'm stuck.

i use photoshop CC with 3d avatar templates

no matter what i try i can't get get nice sharp and crisp tattoo's.

they are allwas unsharp (examples are attached)

save the  files in 2048x2048p 

I would be more than grateful if someone with experiance could give me some tips

by the way ..... i hope i'm in the right place here for this kind of topic

2020-02-01_15-26-42.png

2020-02-01_15-25-37.png

2 hours ago, KaOrIn92 said:

What format are you saving them in?  I find .TGA format to be the best for tats.  Also if the tat itself is very small chances of blur are greater, I mean the image itself not the over all size of the texture especially when it comes to text, some text fonts are better than others for sharp edges.  If you want, PM me and I can send you a note card outlining how I make mine.  And as for the overall size 2048 x 2048 is likely too large,  I would downsize to 1024 x 1024 or even try 512 x 512.

Edited by Tazzie Tuque
  • Thanks 1

Selection/cutting method  matters! A lot...do not use magic wand for selection ever, do not use warp tool ever...those 2 are the most common mistakes ppl make when working with textures...

Best way to select (cut) is by using alpha channel/levels or using pen tool/path (with use of bezier point function)...

• Alpha channel: copy entire layer with tattoo design, open channels tab, new alpha/paste, go back to layers, ctrl+L to open levels and play with values until you get decent contrast between black and white (this will also allow different values of opacity as you see in the original artwork), open "select" drop down menu, create selection and add a mask or just copy/paste in place (at times you will have to invert selection before masking or copy/paste-ing to have the right part displayed)...you can alternatively color the cutout to any color (usually black) just to avoid any white outlines...(btw this works best with solid color backgrounds, if tattoo background is a pattern it could be problematic and you may need to clean it up by hand)
  • Pen tool: select points along the edge of tattoo design, then use point selection tool to select each point and adjust the curve using point handles. you can also change how any point behaves, does it create a curved or a straight line or an angle (pen tool menu add/remove point/convert point)...This may seem a bit too complex, but it does give you a permanent selection (paths tab) which can be used and adjusted later on...  (this is not suitable for intricate patterns, more so for larger solid color shapes)
  • Work on a bigger template, 2048x2048,  do not downsize in PS, let SL uploader downsize it for you (it will be 1024x1024 once uploaded), for some reason this makes textures crispier...

Regarding format, I can`t say I noticed any significant difference between .tga and .png....

Here is an old page by Robin Wood, tutorials (both techniques I mentioned are there) are made with a super old version of PS, but nomenclature is the same and I am sure you will find more then a few useful tips for creating/editing textures/tattoos as well as using PS and PS3D..

• Like 1

22 hours ago, KaOrIn92 said:

Hello community,

lately i challenged myself with tattoo creation 

and to put it frankly... i'm stuck.

I would be more than grateful if someone with experiance could give me some tips

by the way ..... i hope i'm in the right place here for this kind of topic

2020-02-01_15-26-42.png

2020-02-01_15-25-37.png

For text, use OpenTyupe fonts, not TrueType, there is a big difference in the sharpness of the font edges. Use heavier fonts, use bold styling if available and if not, then create a bold with outlines of the same color.

If the text is overlaid onto some other graphical element, use screen or mixed layer overlays, this will kill any potential halos that Photoshop tends to add to small knockouts (small elements on a transparent layer.)

Unless the text on a tattoo is the primary focus of the tattoo, it is better not to use display-style fonts unless designed for "billboard-sized" projects.

2048x2048 is a good working size for your document, but it also should be set to 300 PPI, not 72 or 96 PPI

You may want to investigate Affinity Photo, it is superior to Photoshop in many ways, especially with text compositions because of its direct hooks into Affinity Designer (Illustrator alternative) and Affinity Publisher (InDesign alternative) and all of these are fully capable of doing anything the Adobe stuff can.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1545 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.