Mesh physics not uploading as expected

Zara Avindar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1554 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've got a bridge that, because of the nature of the script I'm using, I need the bridge to be a single object. Everything was fine with it until I added railings to it. Now I don't walk on the bridge, I walk above the railings. I'm using 2 small planes as the physics on the railings, but it seems that once it's uploaded it's creating a bounding box around the entire railing structure and not allowing me to actually walk between the railings. I've tried everything I can think of including using the actual mesh model as the physics layer too, but I still end up walking above the railings. In order to walk between the railings on the bridge deck as you're supposed to, how do I create the mesh physics so it's not problematic as described when I upload it?

Assuming you uploaded your mesh correctly, it sounds like the physics type property of the prim/mesh is still set to convex hull. Select the individual part in the build tool and check that its physics type is set to "PRIM". It should be in the Features tab of the build tool.

LSL reference: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/PRIM_PHYSICS_SHAPE_TYPE

Edit: see this page for some additional information: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Physics_Optimization

Edited by Fenix Eldritch

How weird... so only one of the bridges that I uploaded even gives me that option. The rest only have options for either convex hull or none. So apparently, I only uploaded one of them correctly? Not sure what I did there, but something to keep my eye on I guess. So ones I set the only one I could set to prim... poof like magic it's working the way it's supposed to. :) Thank you so much @Fenix Eldritch and @Wulfie Reanimator

Yes, it sounds like something might have gone wrong during your upload. Maybe you forgot to select the physics model, or maybe there was some error. Hard to say, but regardless, if your mesh doesn't give you the option to set its physics type to "prim" in the build tool, then that suggests it doesn't have any physics shape of its own to begin with. As such, it must default to the auto generated convex hull.

For completeness sake, regarding the three physics types:

• PRIM - makes the prims use their traditional physics shapes. For mesh, it makes them use the physics shape you uploaded it with (if present).
  • CONVEX HULL - a simplified, auto-generated shape that fully encases the object based on visual appearance. Like very low resolution shrink-wrap. Useful for reducing physics land impact at the cost of covering up holes and the like.
  • NONE - no physics shape. Can't be set on the roots of objects.

And I suppose I should also mention that for mesh related questions, it's a good idea to start in the dedicated Mesh forum. To be fair, it is possible for a script to explicitly change an object's physics type, but I'd first rule out any potential problems with the mesh itself before looking at the script.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1554 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.