Rolling restarts in progress: 2020-01-22

arabellajones

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1715 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I asked via Live Chat for more informations. All i got is the Information that it should affect all RC´s but noone knows if that also meens that we get a new Code also on all Regions. Maybe we on RC Magnum are the Stepchilds again and wont get a new Code ……………… or we get one. 

I wouldn't have started the Grid Drive of I had known this was coming.  Checking on Twitter, the warning appears to be 10 minutes before the In-progress message at 07:00 PST I started the run at 05:28, sim crossing has been better than it was over the weekend, and now I have been waiting 20 minutes for a region to restart.

OK, I am not in a good mood. The Lindens are making a good effort to make themselves look like a bunch of wankers

26 minutes ago, Miller Thor said:

I asked via Live Chat for more informations. All i got is the Information that it should affect all RC´s but noone knows if that also meens that we get a new Code also on all Regions. Maybe we on RC Magnum are the Stepchilds again and wont get a new Code ……………… or we get one. 

All I can tell is that about a third of the regions near me are down. That looks high for the RCs, but it's not far off for a random sample of the Grid. Zoom out a bit on the map, and it looks rather as if they pulled the restart trigger on every affected region at 07:00, which must really be hammering the network.

3 minutes ago, arabellajones said:

Zoom out a bit on the map, and it looks rather as if they pulled the restart trigger on every affected region at 07:00, which must really be hammering the network.

We´re not on Mainland and dont know whats going on all around our 2 Regions. 

It is looking as though the Lindens restarted every RC region in Jeogeot at almost the same time, not even channel by channel. I've seen a couple of individual restarts earlier in the week, and they were pretty quick. This restart took at least 25 minutes. There's enough lag on the map to be misleading, but I don't think it's enough to explain what I saw.

The Lindens have just announced completion on Twitter so the total time has been sort of OK.

1 minute ago, LoganPryor said:

My region (which incidentally is in Jeogeot) took nearly 40mins to restart - shutdown at 7:07, restarted at 7:46.

Looks like all regions on 533447 remained on that version. BlueSteel went from 533895 to 534597

What I saw of the version-change messages the viewer can give, a lot went to 534597, but you never see the codenames.

It seems a lot of status reports vanish from the history on the server, but the repeats via Twitter are still accessible, and they're all "Rolling Restarts", no distinction between a simple restart and a roll-out of new code to the servers. No message here from the Lindens, but the inference from the version numbers is that there was a roll-out of new code.

4 minutes ago, arabellajones said:

What I saw of the version-change messages the viewer can give, a lot went to 534597, but you never see the codenames.

Version names I know from before they hid them - I annotated my LMs with which RC they were on.
Maybe they've moved regions onto BluieSteel (would need to know previous version they were on).

My region (and others that I noted as being on BlueSteel) have gone from 533447 -> 533558 -> 533895 -> 534597
Others I've noted as Magnum and LeTigre stayed on 533447

5 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

What is seen when attempting to access the  release notes is simply a placeholder...there is no data associated with the url!  Way to go LL, more information hiding!

I did say they were giving access denied. But it's 99% likely they'll just say the ever-helpful "Internal Fixes" 

It would really help if the number of places the same admin information gets reported were drastically reduced -- probably by opening up whatever internal paths are followed to perform tasks. It should simply be impossible to generate release notes without them being public in the place everyone always goes to find them and to be alerted that they exist. Instead we have forum threads and grid status updates (and sometimes blog posts and other places I'm forgetting) -- any of which may be handy but all of which, combined, guarantee somebody will miss getting the information the particular way they know.

It is way worse to omit one of these paths just one time than to retire that path entirely, as long as there's one canonical place where the information is necessarily reported.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1715 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.