Recently joined

greyghoul

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have recently joined and am slowly finding my way round SL. I have just bought "SL for Dummies" but it's not arrived yet. I'm wondering if anyone can answer a question which so far I've been unable to find the answer to in the tutorials.

In some areas of SL there are coloured balls with text above them. Sometimes the text appears without a ball, with instructions like "kiss her 4-F" or whatever. What are these for? How do I obey these instructions? Why when I click on one of these objects does a coloured framework appear?

Any help would be much appreciated.

greyghoul.

These are Poseballs.  They are how we in SL pose the avatars in pairs or singly in a setting.  Poseballs can be balls, stools, chairs, couches, almost anything. 

The text you saw above that one is which pose it is set to.  In this case the pose Kiss Her 4 F which is the fourth variation of Kissing Her, but the Female avatar's pose.

To use them, right click on teh pose ball and select "Sit here" or whatever else the list shows you for it, like "kiss" or "relax" or what have you.

Be careful with 'SL for dummies' - it is considerably out of date.  Most of the information should be relevant but almost all the user-interface details (click 'x' to do 'y') will probably make no sense whatsoever.

The best way to learn SL is to go to one of the organisations that help new residents (NCI, The Shelter, Caledon Oxbridge, etc, and definitely NOT any of the Linden Labs areas) and then explore.

Good point on the first one there Shock - destinations all gone.

Not sure I can blame LL for that though.  Imagine if you bought an internet-guide to new businesses that was 3 years out of date - how many would still exist at the same domain?  SL companies and destinations come and go even faster because there's (usually) no RL dependency on it, unlike internet companies.

When you're finished at Rhonda's place, and the poseballs are put away, you could always look into joining a group like NCI (New Citizens inc). :) They provide a lot of help to new users both through group chat (where also other new users participate), and through classes. Search for NCI in world, and you should find the/a group to join.

- Luc -

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.