Im new at this just signed up for a membership and second life wont download.....pissed....

exoticdancer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4732 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So, I am incredibly new at this. I just joined SL membership, gave them my mastercard information and everything, but I can't download SL. This is bull, guess I'll just cancel my account unless somebody can help me figure out why SL will partially download then give me an error message reading: "could not download in a timely fashion". Wtf. And I've already tried to free up some memory space on my computer. Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-chels

6 answers to this question

Hmmmm the download seems to be really slow at the moment. Apparently a temporary glitch or sort of. You should try again in a few minutes. Of course you can also try one of the third party viewers (that are IMHO far better than the official viewer anyway): http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

By the way: You don't need to become a premium member to join Second Life. A basic account would be sufficient enough and doesn't cost any money!

• Like 1

First of all, let me suggest that you relax a bit.  SL has its ups and downs, its good and its bad.  Be aware that there are bugs in all virtual worlds and you have to be a little patient to be within them.

What ISP do you use? 

What computer specs do you have?

What firewall are you using?

The direct link to the viewer2 viewer is http://download.cloud.secondlife.com/Viewer-2-6/Second_Life_2-6-3-227447_Setup.exe

Try getting it directly from there and saving it to your computer rather than just running it from the browser.  It sounds like you have lots of downloading going on at the moment (P2P running perhaps) and there's not enough free bandwidth to get the viewer in.  If that's the case, you will need to shut down the downloads to get the program, and when you are in SL itself -- Second Life takes lots of bandwidth to get all the textures, all the animations, all the sounds, and all the movements of everyone around you to render them on your computer. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4732 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.