How better will 5G effect powering the SL-Grid?

ral61

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1633 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I use  4G speed for plane flights, boat rides, & car runs that's mostly successful with (2) viewer re-logins for (viewer filing stability).

Should 5G improve power stability using the SL-Grid with all (9) continents?

Edited by ral61
misprint

3 answers to this question

No, because using mobile networks use cells. Each time you switch a cell (especially when moving fast) your viewer can lose the connection, even
only for a tiny break and the servers can log you out. This is to prevent loss of money inventory and avoid attacks to servers.

Testing SL with a cell-phone it can work on 3G when you limit interactions .... but you cannot move and switch cells.

SL was designed when no one thought about smartphones and laptops used when roaming around.

Basically SL is a MMORPG like WoW ... and thus not made for mobile use. It´s not a speed thing more about packet-loss, stable/fix connection.

Monti

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5G is planned to be faster and more robust. So, theoretically it should be better.

Monti may be right. There may be an issue moving from cell to cell in the 5G network. But, I only occasionally have a problem with streamed audio at 70mph (112kph) on my 5G connection. The glitch is a twitch coming back in 1 or 2 seconds, which generally would not force a disconnect from SL.

I am not sure switching cells will break the SL security. I'm not deep into how SL sec works. As I remember it is token-key based so a routing change shouldn't matter. Even on a land based wired network the backbone routing can change in a session. 

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1633 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.