Login issues

Kymi Alpha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1641 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, Kymi Proudfoot said:

I"m just wondering what is going on with my main account.

So, still not time to panic, but at least in your case it's not the grid ... except right at this moment.   If one account is having a problem but another one is not, you might take a really good look at your inventory structure.  If you have a lot of items in inventory but they are in a few rather large folders instead of divided into smaller subfolders, you have what is called a "flat inventory." For reasons that only @Nalates Urriah can explain well, flat inventories are more prone to random disconnections and login issues than ones that are subdivided.  Often that means that your alt (who owns fewer things) can log in fine, but your main account can't.

• Like 1

Yeah... flat inventory can be a problem. When that becomes a login issue depends on the size of your inventory and the quality of your connection. So, think 5k items in a single folder and packet loss >1 or 2%. Even then you may not have that many problems or often. OR... you may have them much sooner and almost every login.

I think most of us keep less than 1k items in a single folder. I think my average is around 300. And a folder, no matter how many items are in it, is just one item in its parent folder.

Why this is so is less important than knowing a "flat" inventory can be a problem.

Total size is not import. Total size is essentially unlimited. Size does have a minor effect on login and if overly flat can become a significant problem blocking login, requiring help from SL Support to get back in.

A bit less known are the issues from Calling Cards. If you don't use them, delete them to reduce the load from them. This affects login and post login performance. Fortunately it is not a high impact thing. It is minor enough most of us can ignore them.

Another lesser known issue is your Favorites Landmarks... Dead LM's in your 'Favorites' bar can cause problems at login. You can test this by dragging all your Favorites LMs into a folder and emptying the viewer's Favorites Bar. Then add them back one at a time to find the problem LM. Tedious. Or just use each LM in Favorites to make sure they all work. There are live regions, like Scandalous' recent move, that move to a new place in the grid (a new coordinate location) but retain their region name. This messes up the old LMs and if one of those is in the Favorites Bar it can cause login problems.

Generally none of these is often a sole, single cause. They can be. But, most often these issues are often just significant factors in a 'Perfect Storm' sort of way... and fixing them breaks the storm and solves the immediate problem.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1641 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.