Most Neighborly Security System?

Therese Tammas

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Now maybe this title is a contradiction, but my perspective is this:

• In my private parcels, I don't care if someone visits if I'm offline;  I generally have PG-rated furniture and people are free to come and explore and relax if they like
  • The space 30 m above my house, and the space up to my porch should be friendly;
  • If I"m online, I feel I would like to give any potential visitors warning before they get gently moved over

I'd like to have a system for my homes where if I'm offline I can set it to greet visitors and explain my rules for visiting, and then give them a generous 3-4 hours before gently moving them to the public sidewalk. Then it detects when I'm online and gives any potential visitors warning and preparation to leave; and also alerts me to current visitors by chat, and also allows me to truly restrict any walk ins whenever I'm online and to a very limited field above and around. And then the system is still very neighborly and merely gently moves the avatar to the sidewalk nearby.

Is there such thing? I used to always live in private sim communities where the group restrictions are enough, but now that I live on more public land and I'm now trying to engage in the beautification and promotion of Mainland, I feel that I want a good system that is neighborly. 

i don't know of any ready made system that does this as an orb system

i think tho that what might be better for you would be a old-school Shield HUD that only operates on your land. The old school shields had a outer warning perimeter and a inner kill perimeter

when on your parcel it warns anyone within the outer perimeter to move away. If they come within the kill perimeter then is 3 levels of kill.  1) Send Home. 2) Eject from parcel. 3) Bump. Transparent prims are rezzed around the target and the target is physically moved  to a position beyond the outer perimeter

typically the Shield only activates when the wearer is stationary. As is not a good idea to move about our parcel inadvertently slaughtering innocents because we forgot to deactivate it manually

I don't know about the "gently moving them" part. To reliably move an avatar outside a parcel, there's nothing better than the llEjectFromLand() function which we've all experienced: it's pretty abrupt, and it tells the target that they've been "ejected" which just doesn't sound very gentle. The thing is, though, it works on seated avatars which you just can't get using physics-based push. If the avatars were not seated, a script can be pretty gentle with physical push, but only if there's a clear path for them to be pushed along, and that's just going to fail way more often than succeed. (It's great for discouraging folks from climbing onto a stage, etc.)

It's certainly possible to give visitors lots of warning and make any action contingent on your presence (online, or in the same region, or on the parcel itself, etc), and I guess it could keep track of how long they've been there when you're not around. The 3-4 hour threshold, though, is very long, so... squatters, maybe? I'm wondering if it's really continuous 3-4 hour sessions that are a concern, or if it's spending 3-4 hours over the course of a day, or... just not sure what threat it's supposed to address.

(In case it's of interest, for years I've used a little script I wrote that never interacts with the "intruder" itself but does inform me if anybody is present on my parcel whenever I'm in the same region. Then I can greet them, tell them to keep their dirty shoes off the couch, etc., but otherwise they can just wander around anywhere they want, any time I'm not around. Even though there are many passersby on the railroads, they're only very rarely trouble -- but then my threshold of "trouble" is pretty lax. For example, if they're already on my parcel when I arrive in the sim, I usually just go somewhere else for a while.)

Anyway, I definitely like having different rules for when I'm online (or immediately present) than when I'm not. Unfortunately not every land property one might want to control can be set by script; notably a script cannot toggle the parcel privacy setting ("Avatars on other parcels can see and chat with avatars on this parcel") which would be really handy for this.

9 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

It's certainly possible to give visitors lots of warning and make any action contingent on your presence (online, or in the same region, or on the parcel itself, etc), and I guess it could keep track of how long they've been there when you're not around. The 3-4 hour threshold, though, is very long, so... squatters, maybe? I'm wondering if it's really continuous 3-4 hour sessions that are a concern, or if it's spending 3-4 hours over the course of a day, or... just not sure what threat it's supposed to address.

(In case it's of interest, for years I've used a little script I wrote that never interacts with the "intruder" itself but does inform me if anybody is present on my parcel whenever I'm in the same region. Then I can greet them, tell them to keep their dirty shoes off the couch, etc., but otherwise they can just wander around anywhere they want, any time I'm not around. Even though there are many passersby on the railroads, they're only very rarely trouble -- but then my threshold of "trouble" is pretty lax. For example, if they're already on my parcel when I arrive in the sim, I usually just go somewhere else for a while.)

Anyway, I definitely like having different rules for when I'm online (or immediately present) than when I'm not. Unfortunately not every land property one might want to control can be set by script; notably a script cannot toggle the parcel privacy setting ("Avatars on other parcels can see and chat with avatars on this parcel") which would be really handy for this.

On the 3-4 hours- well I mean, I suppose  3-4 hours at a time. Generally I'm offline a big portion of the day, and I figure that's generous enough?

That script sounds good! 

Edited by Therese Tammas

5 minutes ago, Therese Tammas said:

Ooh I will look thanks! Btw @Mollymews were you the Molly that spoke in the Mainland Appreciation Society chat yesterday? I tried replying but I think you went offline

yes that was me. Prokofy sent me a IM to say was ok to donate my whole spare 6 tiers to the society

i put here what the 6 tiers donation is about for anyone else in the same situation

on Premium we get 1024m tier allowance.  When we deed our tier to our parcel-owning group then we can have up to 1120m land. 1120m land costs 1018 tiers.  So 6 over which we can't use ourselves for anything. So donate the 6 tiers to another group so is not wasted

if we have a old Linden Home or Linden Trailer (512m) and a 560m mainland parcel then the total tier cost is 1022 tiers. 512 for the Home and 510 tiers for the mainland parcel. So 2 tiers spare which can be donated to another group

as Prokofy said in the IM, all these tiny residual amounts add up

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

yes that was me. Prokofy sent me a IM to say was ok to donate my whole spare 6 tiers to the society

i put here what the 6 tiers donation is about for anyone else in the same situation

on Premium we get 1024m tier allowance.  When we deed our tier to our parcel-owning group then we can have up to 1120m land. 1120m land costs 1018 tiers.  So 6 over which we can't use ourselves for anything. So donate the 6 tiers to another group so is not wasted

if we have a old Linden Home or Linden Trailer (512m) and a 560m mainland parcel then the total tier cost is 1022 tiers. 512 for the Home and 510 tiers for the mainland parcel. So 2 tiers spare which can be donated to another group

as Prokofy said in the IM, all these tiny residual amounts add up

Aye they do! And it's nice for you to donate your tier! I guess it benefits you also, save money? BTW the way you term it, as in plural, is a little strange to me. Why do you call them "tiers"?

9 minutes ago, Therese Tammas said:

BTW the way you term it, as in plural, is a little strange to me. Why do you call them "tiers"?

some people sing: one potato two potato three potato ... four!

i sing: one potato two potatoes three potatoes ... four!

just because I can :)

30 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Unfortunately not every land property one might want to control can be set by script; notably a script cannot toggle the parcel privacy setting ("Avatars on other parcels can see and chat with avatars on this parcel") which would be really handy for this.

i vote for this as well

Dear Linden,  I would really like to have a llSetParcelDetails( [...] ) please. Thank you!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.