Mesh body deforms on bed. Joint offsets?

3DLab01

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1661 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I'm currently testing a mesh body on beta grid. Some of the bed's I use cause strange deformations to my legs. It elongates them making his legs look like stretch Armstrong lol. I don't know why either. I have to take off the body and rewear it to fix it. I have joint offsets on all my body parts. How-ever I remember awhile ago I only used joint offsets on a cube, rigged it 100% weight to pelvis bone and only applied joint offsets to the cube. Then uploaded all my other parts with skin weights only and it fixed it. I might try this again to see if it still works but I'm not sure why a beds animations would cause this weird deforming problem? My only guess is joint offsets again causing the problem.

Most likely the animations used in the bed have joint positions in use. This happens if the animations include face animations and have been exported in one single file using joint position to a bvh file, which suffers of this bug. Even though only some joints move in position, the whole body gets joint position data, deforming the avatar

Edited by OptimoMaximo
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Optimo, So what would be the best solution for a problem like this? Is it better to build an avatar around the second life rig and try not to use joint-offsets? Do you know of any way I could use a joint-offset avatar but prevent the animations joint position data?

Hi Resi,

Thanks for reply!

I talked to the creator of the bed, unfortunately the problem is how he created the animations. He used Avastar 1 instead of 2 and it causes joint offset avatars to have weird deformations mostly to the legs. He said he tried to fix it but was unable to do so as it created other problems degrading the quality of the original poses. He had to leave it as it was. =/

5 hours ago, 3DLab01 said:

Hi Resi,

Thanks for reply!

I talked to the creator of the bed, unfortunately the problem is how he created the animations. He used Avastar 1 instead of 2 and it causes joint offset avatars to have weird deformations mostly to the legs. He said he tried to fix it but was unable to do so as it created other problems degrading the quality of the original poses. He had to leave it as it was. =/

Sounds like a roundabout way to say: "I'm not gonna do anything."

Indeed there's nothing you can do on your side to fix it. It's an animation problem and it needs to be sorted from animation export. Having used avastar 1 or 2 doesn't make a difference, that creator exported a custom joint position avatar to a bvh file including joint positions. The solution on their side is to export disabling joint translation. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Sounds like a roundabout way to say: "I'm not gonna do anything."

lol I thought the samething. A shame really good work on the animations. I don't think he can get them fixed properly without losing something to the animations is unaware of how to resolve it.

11 hours ago, OptimoMaximo said:

Indeed there's nothing you can do on your side to fix it. It's an animation problem and it needs to be sorted from animation export. Having used avastar 1 or 2 doesn't make a difference, that creator exported a custom joint position avatar to a bvh file including joint positions. The solution on their side is to export disabling joint translation. 

Ah ok, I'm going to relay this to the creator anyway who knows maybe they will give this a try. Thanks again Optimo!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1661 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.