sl loads super slow and im just lost

kymaia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1662 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Second Life Release 6.3.1.530559 (32bit)
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1007U @ 1.50GHz (1496.59 MHz)
Memory: 3978 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit (Build 9200)
Graphics Card Vendor: Intel
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 10.18.10.4358
OpenGL Version: 4.0.0 - Build 10.18.10.4358

Window size: 1366x705
Font Size Adjustment: 96pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 128m
Bandwidth: 3000kbit/s
LOD factor: 1.125
Render quality: 3
Advanced Lighting Model: Enabled
Texture memory: 512MB
VFS (cache) creation time: September 23 2019 16:17:22

J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.10.4
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.64
Dullahan: 1.1.1320 / CEF: 3.3626.1895.g7001d56 / Chromium: 72.0.3626.121
LibVLC Version: 2.2.8
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
September 26 2019 18:47:13

Hi kymaia, and welcome (almost) to Second Life.

Your computer appears to be of modest capability and is probably straining under the load of SL. You have the Advanced Lighting Model (ALM) enabled and that's certainly not helping. The SL viewer should have defaulted to "Low" graphics settings for your computer at launch, and that should disable ALM. Launch the viewer and, before logging in, go to Me->Preferences->Graphics and drag "Quality and Speed" slider all the way to "Low". Then log in and see if things improve.

You're never going to get zippy performance here with your computer, SL is simply too demanding.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Also, until that new machine is in service, you might want to keep the draw distance as short as you can tolerate. Prominent among this machine's limitations is the relative dearth of RAM (only 4 GB) and its reliance on integrated graphics (which uses some of that RAM) combining to make it difficult to fit many objects and textures simultaneously in view without swapping to disk (which is very slow).

Edited by Qie Niangao

• 2 weeks later...

I'll point out that the SL Viewer (any brand) performance is VERY dependent on CPU speed. You want a CPU with high GHz. I overclock to improve performance, which needs a CPU with an unlocked clock. With intel that is a CPU with a K suffix.

SL is multi-threaded but the render process is pretty much in a single thread. So, one sees little if any performance gain by adding CPU-cores. 4-cores are adequate. 8-cores or more are nice but if price is any concern then save the money on cores and get more memory.

Memory is the next most important performance factor. Lots of FAST memory helps. While the Lindens list of Sys Requirements is 4 - 8GB I've found 8GB to be the minimum and 16GB better. I run 32GB, but I multitask like crazy with the viewer open and lots of other stuff in background.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1662 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.