How to make an bento animation reset/undeform when stopped

FreeFlying

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1831 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello Animation Forum

I'm trying to find the best way to reset bento animations, so when an animation is stopped, the avatar's face will reset back to its original configuration.

Ideas would be very welcome since I seem stuck. 

best regards

Freja

Edited by FreeFlying

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2019 at 4:56 AM, Skell Dagger said:

The quickest way is to right-click your avatar and select Appearance > Reset > Skeleton. If you want to stop the animations as well select Appearance > Reset > Skeleton & Animations.

I have been having the same problem. However that solution only solves for yourself. Other ppl still see you as deformed. They have to right click on your avatar and reset skeleton themselves. Is there a quick solution to make your AV appear normal to other ppl without them having to do anything? 

4 hours ago, DorianaCele said:

I have been having the same problem. However that solution only solves for yourself. Other ppl still see you as deformed. They have to right click on your avatar and reset skeleton themselves. Is there a quick solution to make your AV appear normal to other ppl without them having to do anything? 

Reset Skeleton should work for everyone around you, too. I've never seen it not work for others around you, so the only thing I can think of is that maybe their cache of your avatar in their viewer is messed up. To double-check, try the following:

• as above, but click Reset > Skeleton & Animations
  • in the viewer menu, go to Avatar/Me > Avatar Health > Stop Avatar Animations and Revoke Permissions
  • relog

To clarify the 'deformed' statement there: is it definitely a stuck animation that's the problem, or an issue with the shape?

On 9/10/2019 at 2:20 AM, Skell Dagger said:

Reset Skeleton should work for everyone around you, too. I've never seen it not work for others around you, so the only thing I can think of is that maybe their cache of your avatar in their viewer is messed up. To double-check, try the following:

• as above, but click Reset > Skeleton & Animations
  • in the viewer menu, go to Avatar/Me > Avatar Health > Stop Avatar Animations and Revoke Permissions
  • relog

To clarify the 'deformed' statement there: is it definitely a stuck animation that's the problem, or an issue with the shape?

1977374081_selfseeing.thumb.png.706bb2304293b059c27deb1df2e5fdbe.png1080996807_othersseeing.thumb.png.eadae06032dc64710ae7c92ffb32de94.png

I played a priority 2 pose made by  myself which has some bending down (rotating those 6 waist joints, spine 1 to 4, chest and torso) along with other joint movements. And after I leave the pose my AV keeps bending down like that, while all other joints are reset. I reset skel. and anim. then I look myself normally as the picture to the left. However others look me as the picture to the right still bending down. And this is after I reset skel. and anim. on myself and stopped all animations and revoked all permissions. They won't see me stopping bending down until they right click on me and choose more->more->reset->skel. and anim. by themselves. And each person has to do that in order to see me properly. The pose is made by QAvimator with very ordinary settings with priority 2. 

And, even exiting and retrying the sim will make the AV looks ordinary without needing to use reset skel. and anim.

Edited by DorianaCele

18 hours ago, DorianaCele said:

And, even exiting and retrying the sim will make the AV looks ordinary without needing to use reset skel. and anim.

I'm not an animator, but this does seem like odd and unexpected behaviour that should be investigated further. Try the following in turn:

Play the animation, then exit it. Others (I'll refer to them as 'friends' here) see you still in the animation. First:

• You teleport out and back in again. Do your friends see you still stuck in the animation when you return?

Play the animation again, then exit it. Your friends see you still in the animation. Next:

• Your friends teleport out and back in again. Do they still see you in the animation?

Take your friends to a different region and repeat the above steps. Then try a region such as Pooley and see what happens there. Check the server type in the Help > About section of your viewer and move to a different server (e.g. If you're seeing the issue on a Le Tigre server, try moving to a Blue Steel server, or the main Second Life server).

Since you've created the animation, give it to one of your friends and repeat the above steps with them playing the animation and exiting it, and you being the 'others' in the situation. What do you see? Try creating another animation in QAvimator. Does the same issue happen with that one? Ask different people to help you test this, as - depending on who your 'others' are - it may just be a problem on their end. (Case in point: in the support group I work in, we've had people tell us that 'others see me looking weird' when that 'others' is a single person who had a corrupted settings file due to a hard crash to desktop!)

There are lots of variables that could affect who sees what, from the viewer (and viewer versions) each of you is using, to your/their settings, etc.

ETA: There is, of course, also the old SL issue of animations not playing correctly for others (usually this means not playing at all) as evidenced by these posts still on the first page of this sub-forum:

Edited by Skell Dagger

21 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

I'm not an animator, but this does seem like odd and unexpected behaviour that should be investigated further.

No, it's not odd nor unexpected. Bento joints do not have base animations to play, as opposed to the legacy skeleton. Therefore, the last pose those joints had when the animation was stopped stays there. The solution to this is to have a priority 0 or 1 looped animation that plays continuously with all the bento joints posed at their zero rotation and default position. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/13/2019 at 4:40 PM, Skell Dagger said:

I'm not an animator, but this does seem like odd and unexpected behaviour that should be investigated further. Try the following in turn:

Thank you very much for the detailed suggestions. However the problem consistently occurs during most of your suggested testing environments. But as I mentioned in my other thread, I have found a workaround of this issue: of the 6 joints that impact bending down (and rotating and inclining of waist), only the 4 spine joints (spine 1 to spine 4) are affected and not properly reset after exiting of animation. So an ad-hoc solution is simply do not tweak those joints (their values do need to be set to be 1 or -1 in order to avoid being override by default joint movemets), but only use chest and torso joints. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1831 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.