Object Changing Permission

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1760 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there. I have noticed that when I am packing up an item it changes permissions when I take it back to my inventory. So a box set to copy/modify becomes none when taken. I noticed this when I set up a painting for sale. The painting was showing as no/mod no copy as this was the package's permissions. So far, my only workaround has been to modify the perms after I take it into my invent, so that it shows correctly upon sale. Is this a mixed permission argument inside the packing box? Is there another way around this? Or are my giftboxes haunted?

The contents in the box has a no-copy item inside.

If a box is set to copy/modify/no-transfer and it is put into a box that is set to no-copy/modify/transfer - the first box will show only modify permissions when in inventory. If you place that box into a copy/no-modify/transfer box and take that one into inventory, it will show no/copy/no-modify/no-transfer in inventory.

Anything inside inventory will show *all permissions* - the item itself and anything inside its contents. So ensure that object you are selling has the permissions you want *before* putting it inside the box (or use the permissions settings widget while editing the box to set contents permissions) - but also set the box itself to the *same permissions* - INCLUDING ANY TEXTURES on the box. If you create a full permissions item inside a full permissions box and use a texture that is [next-owner] no-copy then that box will be no-copy to everyone else.

The most irritating thing for me is to have a full copy/modify/no-transfer product that comes in a no-copy box. FFS.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lilith Sablatnig said:

So far, my only workaround has been to modify the perms after I take it into my invent, so that it shows correctly upon sale.

Don't do that unless you know exactly what you're doing. Without going into detail, permission changes you make to objects in your inventory can be very unpredictable.

5 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

The contents in the box has a no-copy item inside.

If a box is set to copy/modify/no-transfer and it is put into a box that is set to no-copy/modify/transfer - the first box will show only modify permissions when in inventory. If you place that box into a copy/no-modify/transfer box and take that one into inventory, it will show no/copy/no-modify/no-transfer in inventory.

Anything inside inventory will show *all permissions* - the item itself and anything inside its contents. So ensure that object you are selling has the permissions you want *before* putting it inside the box (or use the permissions settings widget while editing the box to set contents permissions) - but also set the box itself to the *same permissions* - INCLUDING ANY TEXTURES on the box. If you create a full permissions item inside a full permissions box and use a texture that is [next-owner] no-copy then that box will be no-copy to everyone else.

The most irritating thing for me is to have a full copy/modify/no-transfer product that comes in a no-copy box. FFS.

Ah right it's maybe the unpacker script I have in that case. I did wonder if that was causing issue. I'll change the blooming thing to full mod, which should *hopefully* stop this happening.

This is annoying as I had a few preview images set to copy only inside some of the boxes. Guess I'll have to full perm them too or just omit them *le sigh*. Thanks for your reply. I have a few suspects now.

1 hour ago, Lilith Sablatnig said:

Ah right it's maybe the unpacker script I have in that case. I did wonder if that was causing issue. I'll change the blooming thing to full mod, which should *hopefully* stop this happening.

This is annoying as I had a few preview images set to copy only inside some of the boxes. Guess I'll have to full perm them too or just omit them *le sigh*. Thanks for your reply. I have a few suspects now.

You don't have to make anything fullperm. The items will be unpacked perfectly normal with the right permissions.

Your inventory just shows the combined permissions for the whole object (including its contents).

1 hour ago, ChinRey said:
1 hour ago, Lilith Sablatnig said:

So far, my only workaround has been to modify the perms after I take it into my invent, so that it shows correctly upon sale.

Don't do that unless you know exactly what you're doing. Without going into detail, permission changes you make to objects in your inventory can be very unpredictable.

Actually - there is a big that has been around since before I first joined SL in 2006: If a rezzed object has a set of permissions, then taken into inventory, then while in inventory the permissions are changed, re-rezzing the object to *REVERT TO ORIGINAL PERMISSIONS*.

I have actually notified serval creators who accidentally release their stuff *full permissions* because they forget to set permissions before taking into inventory, then change the perms while in inventory and selling. Not realizing that as soon as it is rezzed: the permissions revert to the original perms since last time rezzed.

@Lilith Sablatnig ; Do not do this. You could be abuse-reported for doing it at worst, your market place listing flagged at best. *Rezz your product, set permissions *before* taking into inventory, ALWAYS:)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I have actually notified serval creators who accidentally release their stuff *full permissions* because they forget to set permissions before taking into inventory, then change the perms while in inventory and selling. Not realizing that as soon as it is rezzed: the permissions revert to the original perms since last time rezzed.

Is there an actual JIRA on this? Because permissions were applied just fine after changing them from inventory and rezzing again.

50 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Actually - there is a big that has been around since before I first joined SL in 2006: If a rezzed object has a set of permissions, then taken into inventory, then while in inventory the permissions are changed, re-rezzing the object to *REVERT TO ORIGINAL PERMISSIONS*.

@Lilith Sablatnig ; Do not do this. You could be abuse-reported for doing it at worst, your market place listing flagged at best. *Rezz your product, set permissions *before* taking into inventory, ALWAYS:)

This isn't changing anything but the carrier - the gift box. No permissions other than those are flipping out ergo I have not touched anything else. Turns out it looks like notecard and/or unpacker was at err here. Finally managing to get boxed stuff in invent as it is in-world. Is there a way to set generic perms btw? Like all notecards set to copy/mod etc?

31 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Is there an actual JIRA on this? Because permissions were applied just fine after changing them from inventory and rezzing again.

I couldn't tell you. Jira is a hot-mess normal people avoid. LOL

1 hour ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

You don't have to make anything fullperm. The items will be unpacked perfectly normal with the right permissions.

Your inventory just shows the combined permissions for the whole object (including its contents).

Set them to full mod anyhoo and am finding now by using the permissions tab in-world, things are no longer reverting. At least for now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1760 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.