Detaching HUD and other items come off with it

Brinlea

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

This is new for me. I will add a HUD, for instance one that dispenses something I bought. When the folder has appeared in my inventory, I detach the HUD. I am in the habit of doing this from my inventory...right click, "detach from yourself." And I'm getting instances where the HUD detaches and half my body parts and clothing do, too. It's always the same things that get removed, for instance my Lelutka mesh head stays, along with my eyes, but my teeth get removed. My Maitreya body will get removed but my hands and feet stay. My AO disappears, and always my hair. This happens randomly, not every time I detach a HUD. So there's no pattern I can identify. Since I detach from my inventory, I don't see how I am accidentally selecting other items with my mouse.

I don't see how this could be traced to attachment points having more than one attachment. My teeth, for instance, are attached to "jaw," and nothing else is. So why does "jaw" let go sometimes when I detach a HUD?

I wondered if anyone else has heard of this.

4 answers to this question

Unless the HUD and objects were scripted to behave that way, I don't have a way to explain it.  I have scripted several systems (like drones, for example) in which a rezzed object will keep checking back with the control HUD, and vice versa.  If either one detects that the other one is no longer around, it deletes (or at least disables) itself. I do that on purpose so that a user won't have an unmanned drone flying around after she logs out of SL.  Offhand, I can't think of a good reason to do that with clothing, but I may just lack imagination.  Or you are seeing totally unplanned behavior.

42 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Unless the HUD and objects were scripted to behave that way, I don't have a way to explain it.  I have scripted several systems (like drones, for example) in which a rezzed object will keep checking back with the control HUD, and vice versa.  If either one detects that the other one is no longer around, it deletes (or at least disables) itself. I do that on purpose so that a user won't have an unmanned drone flying around after she logs out of SL.  Offhand, I can't think of a good reason to do that with clothing, but I may just lack imagination.  Or you are seeing totally unplanned behavior.

Thanks for responding. It is so strange. I can't imagine that the HUDs are scripted for that.

I've run into similar problems. 

When you ask this type of question include information about your viewer and computer. You can click the viewer's HELP->About... and copy and paste that information.

In my case I think it is the Current Outfit Folder (CoF) getting messed up. I can switch from my mesh body outfits to an older totally classic outfit. This pretty much wipes everything the avatar was wearing. Switching to the system Ruth would do a similar thing. The idea is to replace everything in the CoF and give it a couple of minutes with no changes so it updates the server side CoF. Then I put my mesh body outfit back on and things work as they should.

Don't discount the problem of attachments stacked on a single point. It takes time for those attachments to stack, which widens the doorway for a problem. Remember. This is a "failure" for things to work correctly. It is NOT surprising when a fail doesn't make sense. Like an airplane crash it may take work and time to figure out what went wrong and why. 

Stacking seems to aggravate "detachments" at TP & Crossings. When flying I often end up with missing body parts and especially those on stacked points, especially if I get detached and disconnected.

Stacking also contributes to the odd early render chaos... stuff rendering at a distance and at odd angles for snapping into place. When you purchase something and wear it for the first time make sure it is attaching some place reasonable.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

I've run into similar problems. 

When you ask this type of question include information about your viewer and computer. You can click the viewer's HELP->About... and copy and paste that information.

In my case I think it is the Current Outfit Folder (CoF) getting messed up. I can switch from my mesh body outfits to an older totally classic outfit. This pretty much wipes everything the avatar was wearing. Switching to the system Ruth would do a similar thing. The idea is to replace everything in the CoF and give it a couple of minutes with no changes so it updates the server side CoF. Then I put my mesh body outfit back on and things work as they should.

Don't discount the problem of attachments stacked on a single point. It takes time for those attachments to stack, which widens the doorway for a problem. Remember. This is a "failure" for things to work correctly. It is NOT surprising when a fail doesn't make sense. Like an airplane crash it may take work and time to figure out what went wrong and why. 

Stacking seems to aggravate "detachments" at TP & Crossings. When flying I often end up with missing body parts and especially those on stacked points, especially if I get detached and disconnected.

Stacking also contributes to the odd early render chaos... stuff rendering at a distance and at odd angles for snapping into place. When you purchase something and wear it for the first time make sure it is attaching some place reasonable.

Thanks! Firestorm viewer. I will try what you suggest about resetting the Current Outfit Folder. That sounds promising.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.