Why IM(message) SL website not functioning?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1808 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I remember long long time ago, I mean few years back say likes 5 years back or more, I think..      we can leave message (IM) to our friends by using our link from the second life (SL) website and not necessary to login or launch SL to IM our friends whether they are online or offline.  Even if we offline, we not login/open SL, we still can IM to all our friends in SL by using this IM messages at SL website. 

Now its not happening that even we can see the features/access still there but its no longer available we still have to go login or launch SL to IM.    Sadly when we having SL problems and cant IM our friends if anything happen nowaday. ☹️  Just wondering if SL management or the Team involved will open back that (IM) features in future...!  If that's happen would very much appreciate and grateful.  

you've never been able to IM anyone from outside SL.

What you CAN do is offer friendship to someone (via my.secondlife.com). You *can* initiate an IM with someone through email *IF* you have a rezzed object in world with the scripts to do that, though that does not guarantee they will see it and respond. You also can reply to an offline IM that comes in an email (within the first 12 to 15 hours, I believe) and carry on an IM conversation with them, though you should always remove all quoted text from your email and your IM log will not record your side of any offline conversation.

OH! And you can also reply to group notices that come through email, the reply will start an IM with the person who created and sent the group notice.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

There was a third party website that did let you send an IM to a user in SL. I can't remember any details. It wasn't anything to do with Linden Lab, though. The website communicated with an in-world server that would send the actual IM. If I remember correctly anyone wanting to use it first had to click on the in-world server and set up a password so that they could be authenticated when they went to the website.

If this isn't functioning any more, I guess it's because the people who ran it stopped supporting it. If the website still exists but doesn't work it's likely that it's the in-world server that's not working, maybe because the people who owned it decided to stop paying for the land on which it once existed.

Hi, i think this feature could be abused to easily to massIM residents without even login.

However i can understand the problem when you cannot login and just want to let people know about.
Maybe you can email with at least one of your SL friends to make them let all know whats up about you.

Monti

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1808 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.