Simple animations

evoludie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1845 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all. I make simple things for SL, like jewelry, mask...I would like to add some simple animations to those items. Like the blinking of the eyes or rotation to a certain part of an object. Would the solution for that be scripting or is there another way? I use Blender for the objects creation.

If you are talking about animating the mesh itself that you have created in Blender, LL has recently added a new feature aptly called Animesh.

First, you will have to rig your mesh to the SL skeleton. (The animated parts anyway.) Then you will have yo create an animation. (You can create these in Blender as far as I know.)

Once you have those uploaded on SL, you need a script that will play the animation from the object's inventory. A script like this can be very simple, especially if you need just one animation to be playing forever.

I've never animated in Blender so I can't help you there. I would post the SL skeleton link but I'm on my phone and it's painful.

@Wulfie Reanimator Many thanks for response. I did saw some videos on animesh but did not think that it was connected to what I wanted to do. If you do have time please post the link to the skeleton. I have a few avatar with skeleton from SL but in the past I had issues when exporting animations with them to SL due to names of the bones not being recognize.

If you can avoid animesh - avoid it! It's limitations are severe, like "Only one attached animesh item per basic account - only two per premium one" people wil most likey already have it reserved for their pet.

You can animate stop motion by flipping alphas or by rotating textures or by repositioning/rotating linked items. Yes it will be not as cool as animesh but you can wear dozens of such items. If the animation is simple - don't use animesh. If you wanna animate something like a bullwhip however animesh might be just about the right thing.

Edited by Fionalein

I am not entirely sure what exactly it is you are trying to do, but if you want to have a bracelet that rotates around the wrist, then a simple rotationscript within the object would work.

When you talk about blinking eyes, I suppose this would be like a necklace with eyes that blink as opposed to avatar eyes? That effect could be done having two of the same necklaces or even just two eyes meshes layered over the other and going back and forth between making one transparent then the other, this would give the illusion of the eyes blinking.

16 minutes ago, Syn Anatine said:

When you talk about blinking eyes, I suppose this would be like a necklace with eyes that blink as opposed to avatar eyes? That effect could be done having two of the same necklaces or even just two eyes meshes layered over the other and going back and forth between making one transparent then the other, this would give the illusion of the eyes blinking.

Or a simple half sphere with lid painted on rotating or even just having a texture rotating over...

• Like 1

@Syn Anatine Hello thanks for taking interest in my question. Those are interesting ideas. I have only a basic basic knowledge of LSL but the script like you said, would need to affect transparency and have a timer. I'll have to try it thanks.

@Fionalein Do you think that it would be possible to have one object with two textures inside it and a script would just switch them with a timer?

Working on objects for second life is nice. But I really sometimes just turn round and round with lots of ideas but with too limited knowledge to achieve them. How do you guys do? Do you have some good learning tutorials sites or do you work in groups to help each other grow?

Edited by evoludie

1 hour ago, evoludie said:

Do you think that it would be possible to have one object with two textures inside it and a script would just switch them with a timer?

Er no, better use one texture with both images and have a script flip through the outtakes of that texture - pretty much like a sprite frame of old. That way both textures will be preloaded already.

Edited by Fionalein

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1845 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.