Kickstarter for visual novel with secondlife pic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1859 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello! i would like to create an interactive visual novel with mini game using some picture and vidéos made in second life, i own a lil land to create my background and wanted to know if i got the right to create a kickstarter project using picture and video made in second life and using creator content from Market place, cause i will use a lot of different content to create the avatars and background.

• 3 weeks later...

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.
The answer is: sort of. 

The way i'm understanding what I found in the TOS and associated documents, you're welcome to use snapshots and machinima you take in SL in any other derivative works, royalty free, so long as they follow the guidelines set forth for such things. However, you don't have permission to use SL's trademarks such as the terms "SL" "Second Life" or the eye-in-hand logo. 
Furthermore:

If the content that you capture is subject to any trademark, service mark, trade dress, publicity rights, or other intellectual property or proprietary rights, you must obtain the necessary licenses and permissions to use the content, and you use it at your own risk.

So, put simply, yes, but tread carefully and make sure you read through Section 1 of the Second Life Terms and Conditions and the official Snapshot and Machinima Policy. Ignorance of the rules is not an excuse to not follow them, so be sure you read those documents top to bottom and make sure you're on the up-and-up. You wouldn't want someone coming in and sweeping the rug out from under your feet because you figured you'd be alright, or wouldn't get caught.

It would be VERY WISE to consult an attorney before venturing on.  I had a client of sorts long ago who had to redo her machinima because of legal issues; it was a RL for profit project as apposed to a "fan piece" although the legalities are likely the same. Also note that you will need the written con scent of any avatars that are not you (should there be any) as well as consent from any landowners should you film on land other than your own sets.

Especially for something as public as a Kickstarter program I would be very leery and really REALLY do the research.  

4 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

It would be VERY WISE to consult an attorney before venturing on.  I had a client of sorts long ago who had to redo her machinima because of legal issues; it was a RL for profit project as apposed to a "fan piece" although the legalities are likely the same. Also note that you will need the written consent of any avatars that are not you (should there be any) as well as consent from any landowners should you film on land other than your own sets.

Especially for something as public as a Kickstarter program I would be very leery and really REALLY do the research.  

Good Luck getting SLers to sign a RL waiver to be n a machinima.. I know i would be saying no to it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1859 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.