Using other people's work to sell Avatars?

Nicko Mocha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1910 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello! Sorry if it isn't the right spot, but i'm having trouble finding the right section to ask this kind of question. First off: i won't name names, as i remember this is against the rules. 

But from what i'm seeing i can't quite understand the TOS regarding avatars, other works, and how to report stolen assets. 

Let's put it this way: i see someone selling an Avatar. This Avatar has been converted from someone's work without asking. The original model could be either free or bought from an external website. Either way no rights to sell it on Second Life. How do i report this? I can't find anything that helps me report the store, or the user, regarding stolen assets (only stuff regarding Second Life per se - permissions, rating, ect).

Long story short there is someone selling avatars made from stolen assets and therefore damaging other people's hard work. Is there anything in the TOS about that? If so, how i can enforce that rule? 

4 answers to this question

30 minutes ago, Nicko Mocha said:

Hello! Sorry if it isn't the right spot, but i'm having trouble finding the right section to ask this kind of question. First off: i won't name names, as i remember this is against the rules. 

But from what i'm seeing i can't quite understand the TOS regarding avatars, other works, and how to report stolen assets. 

Let's put it this way: i see someone selling an Avatar. This Avatar has been converted from someone's work without asking. The original model could be either free or bought from an external website. Either way no rights to sell it on Second Life. How do i report this? I can't find anything that helps me report the store, or the user, regarding stolen assets (only stuff regarding Second Life per se - permissions, rating, ect).

Long story short there is someone selling avatars made from stolen assets and therefore damaging other people's hard work. Is there anything in the TOS about that? If so, how i can enforce that rule? 

Sadly there is no way but informing the copyright holder. They then have to file a DMCA complaint...

Copyright is a mess. The DMCA laws - while originally intended to improve upon the situation - IMHO only made it worse. So basicaly: inform copyright holder, then they or their attorney can contact the Lab to take down the content,...

PS: you can point the copyright holder here in your notification, this page holds all neccessary info for them how to contact the Lab: https://www.lindenlab.com/legal/intellectual-property-infringement-notification-policy

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

While some folks/organizations do care and even make it easy to report, others apparently don't care so much.  Some SL merchants have mentioned that they've spent tons of time getting stolen items removed, but it still keeps popping up and they are tired of the fight.  I know of art work on the MP (pictures for sale) that are definite rip-offs from RL and I've informed those artists.  One flat out told me that it was a never ending battle and thus they now just ignore it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1910 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.