0 is greater than 0? Why?

Tuu Munz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1932 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 hours ago, steph Arnott said:

Reality check in regards to the OPs statement. This is SL and  LSL does not need to be stupidly accurate. Simply chop off the end to return a three decimal  float.

You are right. There sure are many ways to handle this feature. But to use them, you have to be aware about it.

And - shame to me - I haven't been. May be because I have under my years in SL wrote only simple scripts - switching lights on/off, changing colours and textures of prims, playing whit particles for my own fun, making simple menus, etc.

But recently I have been playing with one opensource script and found out, that sometimes it does what it should do and sometimes doesn't. When I looked it closer, it seemed to me, that logic there were quite right, but that the aberration there must have something to do with the way LSL handles floats. I could fix the script so that I'm happy with it. But as I am curious person, I liked to know, why it worked as it did. Now I know. 😊

2 hours ago, Tuu Munz said:

You are right. There sure are many ways to handle this feature. But to use them, you have to be aware about it.

And - shame to me - I haven't been. May be because I have under my years in SL wrote only simple scripts - switching lights on/off, changing colours and textures of prims, playing whit particles for my own fun, making simple menus, etc.

But recently I have been playing with one opensource script and found out, that sometimes it does what it should do and sometimes doesn't. When I looked it closer, it seemed to me, that logic there were quite right, but that the aberration there must have something to do with the way LSL handles floats. I could fix the script so that I'm happy with it. But as I am curious person, I liked to know, why it worked as it did. Now I know. 😊

The LSL floating point issue goes back to the first days. In order to get SL to even work using the tech at the time LL had to make drastic  compromises in the base codes. We are stuck with that debt. Many bugs are known about. LL could fix some of them but it would break huge numbers of existing scripts. The floating point error issue can not be fixed without massive disruption of the service which would cost it dearly. I do not think most realize that LL have to satisfy their share holders first and the customers second.

LL put forward the Sansar solution. The new upto date SL they claimed. It was clear by 2016 that Sansar was not going to be that at all. SL allows anyone to build, script etc, that is not the case with Sansar. LL have deliberately given creation inworld to an elite few. That means Sansar is about how much money LL can  wringe out of us plebeians. I have tried Sansar and i will stick with SL and all its faults. SL is not going offline any time soon because it is keeping LL afloat. And in a round about way we are also paying for Sansar.

1 hour ago, steph Arnott said:

LL put forward the Sansar solution. The new upto date SL they claimed. It was clear by 2016 that Sansar was not going to be that at all. SL allows anyone to build, script etc, that is not the case with Sansar. LL have deliberately given creation inworld to an elite few. That means Sansar is about how much money LL can  wringe out of us plebeians. I have tried Sansar and i will stick with SL and all its faults. SL is not going offline any time soon because it is keeping LL afloat. And in a round about way we are also paying for Sansar.

Theres no roundabout way we ARE funding Sansar. Sansar has hardly any users and one person in this forum reported that they make on average about a nickel a week or something random like that from Sales in Sansar, which means no one is buying anything and thus LL are making virtually no money from the platform. The only other main revenue LL has is SL which in turn funds Sansars development.

Regarding creating in Sansar..I would say its incorrect to say that "LL have deliberately given creation inworld to an elite few".

There is nothing stopping anyone from creating in Sansar. All you need is a willingness to learn something new, Visual Studio, a mesh program of your choice and finally time to allow yourself to learn. Im not the worlds biggest supporter of Sansar as per my previous comments on other threads note but creation really isn't that elitist. It just requires you sitting down and learning something new is all. Once you get passed the initial barrier of how things are done, pick up a little bit of c# and get to grips with the software its not all that difficult....just....different.

Edited by chibiusa Ling

1 hour ago, steph Arnott said:

Yes we are. The funding comes from  MP commission charged by LL. Good day. 

@steph Arnott ... chibiusa was agreeing with you ... just missed a comma ... what the sentence start should read is: There (is) no roundabout way, we ARE funding Sansar. With the addition of the comma the phrase is separated and so in agreement.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wandering Soulstar said:

@steph Arnott ... chibiusa was agreeing with you ... just missed a comma ... what the sentence start should read is: There (is) no roundabout way, we ARE funding Sansar. With the addition of the comma the phrase is separated and so in agreement.

Correct, 10 points to wandering :)

Edited by chibiusa Ling
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1932 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.