Translator for IMs

autonug

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone, 

I have a friend speaking different language than me. We use translator when we are near by in near-by chats but its a great pain when we have a long conversation in IMs without in-world translator. Any suggestion for translator I can use for IMs too? What I do for now is copy her text, paste it in google translator and copy-paste back in my IMs.

Thank you

Just now, autonug said:

Hello everyone, 

I have a friend speaking different language than me. We use translator when we are near by in near-by chats but its a great pain when we have a long conversation in IMs without in-world translator. Any suggestion for translator I can use for IMs too? What I do for now is copy her text, paste it in google translator and copy-paste back in my IMs.

Thank you

I do the same, slow and painful.

As far as I know copy/paste is the only way for IMs. HUDs would never be able to see the contents of IM's it's impossible, and the inbuilt translation system of Firestorm has not been extended into IMs or Group chat.

I really wish the Firestorm Translation API was coded to work in IMs too!

14 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

the inbuilt translation system of Firestorm has not been extended into IMs or Group chat.

For the simple reason that a few years ago (about 5) the services being used to translate went from free to pay. That pretty much killed the FS translation because most people weren't willing to pay for something that had been free for years and years.

6 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

For the simple reason that a few years ago (about 5) the services being used to translate went from free to pay. That pretty much killed the FS translation because most people weren't willing to pay for something that had been free for years and years.

Shrug?  Just because it went pay doesn't invalidate my wish that it hooked into IMs.

And yes, I understand the devs have better things... but you will see my statement was...

20 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

I really wish the Firestorm Translation API was coded to work in IMs too!

Highlighting a critical word there.

As far as cost.. it's worked out to US$8.00 a month for me, and I have $400 of credit to play with. When that $400 free money runs out I will just start another email address for another $400 and keep going.

4 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Shrug?  Just because it went pay doesn't invalidate my wish that it hooked into IMs.

And yes, I understand the devs have better things... but you will see my statement was...

Highlighting a critical word there.

As far as cost.. it's worked out to US$8.00 a month for me, and I have $400 of credit to play with. When that $400 free money runs out I will just start another email address for another $400 and keep going.

I was just giving an explanation of why they never took it further than it went, not criticizing you or anyone who does pay for it. :S

On 12/13/2018 at 10:33 PM, autonug said:

Hello everyone, 

Thank you

Nothing can see in IM or group chats, it is not within lsl to allow that to happen, its sort of a privacy reason why it was never done. to prevent people from logging im's through objects and huds making it easier to doxx people or share private conversations easier without the consent of all parties involved. Like all the chat spy/log items do now for local. which is why a lot of people go to im's now in some sims to prevent being chat spied on without consent. Lots of sims now have or use a chat spy or chat log device either for 'security' use or other reasons in the main hangout areas of the sim and don't tell users that its there. Just search the mp and you can see all the types that exist not including the user made ones of their own.

if huds or objects could listen in to im's people would make them so they could spy on what other people were saying when near them and then maybe try and use that to blackmail them or harass them.

So it would have had to be a viewer thing, but as stated by a few others that support was never added because of the reasons stated.

So because of those reasons you are sort of limited to either learning their language or using copy+paste and whatever online translator you chose to use or staying to local where a translator can be used in-world, which leaves you open to being spied on by anyone near, or even anyone not near.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.