Blank Texture Applied by Script not the same Blank Texture as Applied in Edit

Bloodsong Termagant

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2154 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

okay, this is weird.

i'm making a texture applier, and if there is no texture, it of course uses the blank texture.  but i have used both the default blank texture key, as well as the constant BLANK_TEXTURE  (or is it TEXTURE_BLANK?  you know what i mean.)

when i'm editing the object, and i select the texture swatch, and click 'blank,' i get a blank white texture.  (i'm using firestorm, if that makes any difference.)

when i apply the blank texture from the script, i'm getting a middle-grey blank texture.  when i go to edit this, and hit the 'blank' button, the texture definitely changes.

when i set it to the white blank, and fetch its UUID from the script, and use that, i ALSO get the grey blank texture when i apply it via that key.

i kinda need the applier to set the blank textures to a WHITE blank texture, so any colours/tints applied are correct, and not darkened by the middle grey.   help?

Or (Option 4)  you are texturing a mesh object that was imported from Blender, where the default color is set to 50% grey ( or maybe it's the SL uploader that sets it to 50% grey.  I don't know for sure).  Apply TEXTURE_BLANK and the color will still be 50% grey until you change it to white.

Edited by Rolig Loon

Could just be an effect caused by the local lighting.    I rezzed a prim, set it to TEXTURE_BLANK, ALL SIDES by script, and then drag copied it.   The only difference between the two boxes is that I set the one on the right to Full Bright (i.e. ignore lighting effects) in the editor:  Note the difference between the top of the left-hand prim and the other sides -- the top is receiving direct light from the SL sun, and the other sides are in the shade.

Boxes.png

Edited by Innula Zenovka

17 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Or (Option 4)  you are texturing a mesh object that was imported from Blender, where the default color is set to 50% grey ( or maybe it's the SL uploader that sets it to 50% grey.  I don't know for sure).  Apply TEXTURE_BLANK and the color will still be 50% grey until you change it to white.

If the face was tinted, OP shouldn't see a difference when they click on the blank texture from build tools.

Also, a side note, meshes from Blender are usually grey because in Blender the default material assigned to the mesh has a grey tint which is exported as well. You can try changing a model's color before exporting and see that it has an effect.

wulfie is correct.

the COLOR is white, the transparency is usually set to 44%.  

BUT

the grey colour i'm seeing is in the texture swatch, when i'm editing.  (and of course, also making the object 'dimmer').  and when i click the grey swatch and press the 'blank' button, it turns from grey to white.  it is a DEFINITIVE difference, i mean from 50% grey to 100% white.

as for the 3 reasons you cited...

1: the uuid is either A: what i got from reading the texture key or B: the constant TEXTURE_BLANK.

2: the blank texture loads.  when i press the button.

3: mmm, no. ;D  ...although if i recall correctly, i tried to get the uuid for the grey texture and it was the same as the white one. :/

i'm gonna report this to LL as a bug.  it makes no sense.

of course, now i can't get it to do it today.

thanks, guys!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2154 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.