Transparent texture - Blender

Spaiker Bravitz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2109 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Can anyone help me with a question?

Well, I'm working on a bento beard and when creating the texture, the part of the beard that I did not apply texture gets appearing and coming into conflict with the skin.

Does anyone know how I can solve this using Blender?

Here is a photo of the problem:

78d658f26d84a2497061f6c4ef27634a.png

I applied the solidify for the texture to appear on the other side, but even then the part that has no texture stays that way ...

There is no technical solution to alpha blended texture glitching, it's a fundamental issue affecting the SL render engine and will never be resolved. 

The best I can suggest is to make your beard use an alpha masked texture rather then an alpha blended one (as that wont glitch) but will require a different style of texturing.

5 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Não existe uma solução técnica para a falha de textura alfa combinada, é um problema fundamental que afeta o mecanismo de renderização do SL e nunca será resolvido. 

O melhor que posso sugerir é fazer com que a sua barba use uma textura com máscara alfa, em vez de uma mistura alfa (como isso não acontecerá), mas exigirá um estilo diferente de texturização.

Would there be any video on youtube that exemplifies this? how could I do?

I am a layman in Blender and I know the basics.

And thanks for replying.

You set the textured face to alpha masking in the viewer and then set a cut off value. There is nothing you can do in blender that will correct the effect you are seeing when rendered in SL. 

Alpha blending involves textures with variable transparency and allows you to blend one into another, it's easy to achieve a soft pretty effect but that comes at the cost of being very expensive to render (as in detrimental to performance) and runs the risk of glitching when there are multiple alpha textures (in your case .. the one on your beard and the ones on the face).

Alpha masking creates a hard cutout around your texture, parts are fully transparent, others are full opaque. It's a little trickier to use but has the advantage of being fast and immune from the various sorting issues that blended alpha suffers.

1 hour ago, CoffeeDujour said:

You set the textured face to alpha masking in the viewer and then set a cut off value. There is nothing you can do in blender that will correct the effect you are seeing when rendered in SL. 

Alpha blending involves textures with variable transparency and allows you to blend one into another, it's easy to achieve a soft pretty effect but that comes at the cost of being very expensive to render (as in detrimental to performance) and runs the risk of glitching when there are multiple alpha textures (in your case .. the one on your beard and the ones on the face).

Alpha masking creates a hard cutout around your texture, parts are fully transparent, others are full opaque. It's a little trickier to use but has the advantage of being fast and immune from the various sorting issues that blended alpha suffers.

I did it and it worked, thank you very much for your answers.  :) it got better

f370dfa0d671e5068310b85174880c8b.png

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2109 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.