How To Create Custom Day Cycles

JasonClandestino

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2171 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello.

I'm curious if there's any way to create custom day cycles within Second Life, either with use of WindLight Settings, or if that could be implemented.

I want a 24 hour based day cycle for my region, or variably just within my viewer with a WindLight setting.

As well, I would like custom windlight features with clouds & thunderstorms. I'm aware that most people that want thunderstorms & rain use particle scripts, though looking at the sky & clouds textures utilized for basic windlight features, it seems that custom layered clouds & even thunderstorm effects & others could be implemented.

I am just curious if anybody else has toyed around with things within the attempt to get a similar effect.

Thanks.

5 answers to this question

7 hours ago, JasonClandestino said:

Hello.

I'm curious if there's any way to create custom day cycles within Second Life, either with use of WindLight Settings, or if that could be implemented.

I want a 24 hour based day cycle for my region, or variably just within my viewer with a WindLight setting.

As well, I would like custom windlight features with clouds & thunderstorms. I'm aware that most people that want thunderstorms & rain use particle scripts, though looking at the sky & clouds textures utilized for basic windlight features, it seems that custom layered clouds & even thunderstorm effects & others could be implemented.

I am just curious if anybody else has toyed around with things within the attempt to get a similar effect.

Thanks.

Custom day cycles are created in Environment Settings for Windlight. I'd be happy to give more detail, but RL doesn't give the time right now. Windlight doesn't do weather at all. Even if you want stormy clouds, you'll be hard-pressed to create them.

Windlight settings can be set for a region or parcel only. Even then, other people must have their settings allow region windlight to override their own settings. Otherwise, it's a viewer-only thing.

A project named Enhanced Environment Project (EEP) is in progress. It will provide more control over the environment settings. Adjustable day length is one of the planned changes.

Also, it will be possible to set WL for individual avatars. So, I can be in a cave and its dark while you are standing on top of the cave outside and it is bright.

I expect to see this release this year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There's a config script section in the OpenSim software which allows for a 360 day year & a 24 hour day cycle.

I noticed that various viewers were featured to have a Day Cycle Length setting with WindLight. I had figured there might be something that could be adjusted within SL.

The 24 hour day length & 360 day year really makes sense to me. The 60 day year cycle does not make sense as a marketing tactic, not at all. I suddenly feel like I don't have time for SL with a 60 day year cycle.

Hahaha!!

:/

I want Thunderstorms as well.

:)

7 minutes ago, JasonClandestino said:

I want Thunderstorms as well.

:)

I've seen some pretty impressive thunder storms with what we have now.

The big thing is volumetric (?) environment. The idea is you could have weather within a region. Sort of like within a cube. Rain would stop at the bottom of the cube. So, we could have rain outside without rain inside a building.

People have been asking for it as long as I've been in SL. While EEP will get us closer, I doubt we will get it with EEP. But, region, parcel, and altitude zones are expected in EEP.

In Firestorm:

WORLD menu->ENVIRONMENT EDITOR->DAY PRESETS-> NEW PRESET

However, when you create this it will only work for you unless you share the Preset files with others (via web download - cannot do it inside SL until the new EEP comes available as that is supposed to be one of the new features also)

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2171 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.