If a person is asking for "donations" to help out an individual, is this legit?How would I find out

lolalarson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi, I recently met a person through a "SL friend" who was seeking donations for an individual, can this be legit?  It is not for a group or organization, but for one person.  Is this permissible on Second Life? How do I go about to find out if this monetary donation legitimate.  Thank you for your assistance.

5 answers to this question

To the best of my knowledge, Residents are Permitted to Privately raise funds in any manner as long as the conduct is in compliance with the Second Life Terms of Service and the Community Standards.

If you doubt the legitimacy of any fund raising effort you should Not Donate.

You could start the lolalarson benefit foundation if you wanted.

Falsely representing rl charities or other fund raising organizations is Prohibited under the SL TOS and possibly unlawful or illegal in rl. 

• Like 1

Hi, like in real you never know where the donations go. This is a allways matter of trust !

Begging for money or "donations" is a common thing in both worlds and lots easier on SL.

No one really needs to have a Second Life, so its kinda funny to ask for donations on here.

If they have real problems then this is the wrong place, how far do u come with 100 L$ what is just a few real $.

unfortunately anyone can go around and ask random strangers for money better known as begging i honestly think these 'beggars' don't need the money i've been in stores and had people IM me and say i only have L$1 can you lend me L$2999 so i can get a L$3000 skin if i do respond i usually tell them if you can't afford it you can't have it or to go earn the L$ or buy it off the lindex/ third party exchange, i got to the point that i put in my profile that i don't give money to beggars. there's no real way to know if the donation is legit you have to take the persons word for it, if it was genuine the person would be quite happy to show you what your donation was used for 

I agree with both previous posters and would add that in general, begging for money in SL is frowned upon by residents. It will get you kicked out of groups, lose friends and have posts deleted on the forums.

I am sure that there are occasionally legitimate ones, but in general they are viewed as scams & if you choose to pay money you just have to trust that it is going where it is claimed to go.

I apologise if this has been mentioned above; I just glansed over the other responses and might have missed it.

Perhaps not really what you are asking, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. Some stores specifically states that begging is not allowed in their store, and that beggars will be banned if it is brought to the owners attention. Not sure about other cases. Whether it is legitimate, as was mentioned above, you have to decide or find out for yourself.

- Luc -

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.