You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1343 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

I'm trying to understand how to best use a note card to change textures on an object. Example something that if I put say 5 texture names in the note card and say a notecard reader script reads those names in the notecard but takes the UUID of those textures and passes it along to a function like llSetLinkTexture. Then I'd just enter a chat command and it would apply those textures with the same function to the object they're in.  If that makes sense to someone anyone know how to do this? lol

You've already figured out the logic pretty well.  As you said, simply put the texture names and UUIDs in the notecard, and read them in with a dataserver event.  You could store the information in a single strided list or in two parallel lists, whichever is more convenient for you.  Then use a dialog to select the one you want to display at any given time.  As Xijia says, you don't really need to read the information from a notecard at all if you are always going to use the same selection of textures.  The notecard approach just gives you added flexibility for when you want to use texture UUIDs that are not hard coded into the script.

• Like 1

An advantage of keeping the UUIDs in the script is that they'll have the permissions you assign to the script. With a notecard, if your script can read it, another script can too. Some commercial products encrypt UUIDs in notecards, but that adds a lot of overhead work to using notecard storage and is only as secure as the encryption secret. (Admittedly, this is all kind of silly now because most textures are completely useless except on the model with a matching UV map, so they could as well be public for all it really matters, but that goes against the instincts of many creators.)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Xiija said:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlGetNotecardLine

if it's only 5, and if they never change, just hard code them into yer script mebbe?

The notecard method makes sense for an applier, where other creators will be creating notecards with their own unique textures, and you don't want other texture creators to have access to your script .  

If there's no third party creators, and you just want the end user to be able to choose from 5 preset textures, Xiija's solution makes a lot more sense.  A list of 5 keys in the script itself is going to do things a lot faster, and with fewer headaches, than making a simple texture change a database event.

Edited by Edie Shoreland
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the replies! Main reason I choose to try a notecard is hoping this might make it easier for others to edit. If I manage to finish a 3d model I'm working on I think it will add ease of use to upload and add textures by name to a notecard and have a script do the harder part of assigning their textures to where I want them to go on a model. So I think in a sense it is the same as an applier as Edie said. I'm not very familiar with appliers or programming so most of what I come up with is luck at times lol!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
3 minutes ago, System32jos said:

but it would not be easier to add the channel with the UUID in a gesture on chat and when activating the gesture in the chat the 5 textures are changed

Perhaps, but as both Xijia and Qie pointed out in this old thread, any method like that leaves the textures or their UUIDs vulnerable to theft. If you know that there will only be a half dozen textures to change, it makes more sense to hard code them into a list in the script and then use a menu to give users the option to chose among them.  That's easier for the user, who doesn't have to keep track of a separate notecard or a gesture, and it protects the permissions on your textures.

you can only protect UUIDs if you put them inside a script
I have a receiver and launcher script

if they can improve it they can add 5 uuid and with this protect their UUID

if they cannot improve it, create a HUD where each HUD cube will send the UUID to the selected channel and it will simply change this script does not work because it changes a complete object

OBJETO RECEPTOR

integer ch=1000;

default{
    state_entry()
    {
        llListen(ch,"",NULL_KEY,"");
    }

listen(integer channel, string name, key id, string msg)
      {
        if (llGetOwner() == llGetOwnerKey(id))
       { 
          llSetTexture(llGetSubString(msg,0,-1),ALL_SIDES);
             }
            }
}

HUD LANZADOR

integer ch=1000;  

default{

touch_start(integer total_number)
    {
           llSay(ch,"UUID"); 

}

}

I hope this post helps

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1343 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.