Camera perv

cleve Byron

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4904 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I've had a couple of instances when I've clicked on an avi to check out a profile and when I've opened a chat with that av, they've said that they were aware that my Camera was pointed at them. They weren't mad about it, mind you. More like flattered that I was looking at them. Kinda took me aback a little because I didn't know that was possible. I've been using SL for a few years but there seems to be a lot of stuff I didn't know one could do. I figured they may have had a hud which would detect this but lately I've been reading that the Character>Show Look At would do this but it seems to show only where the avi's face is pointing, not what their view Camera is pointed at. I've got that enabled now but I'm still not sure if that's how it's done. Is there something I'm missing or don't know about which will show me when a Camera is pointing at me or vice versa?

11 answers to this question

In viewer 2 its Develop Menu > Avatar > Show Look At. If you alt-click your camera on an avatar, pink crosshairs will appear on that avatar and he/she will know someone is camming but not who. In Phoenix viewer however, the name of the person camming appears over the pink crosshairs so the avatar knows exactly who is looking. Of course, the avatar has to have that feature enabled to see this.

Yes, Show Look At is a very coarse tool.  It tells you the direction that someone is looking but not what the person is looking at.  Some people don't seem to understand that, so they assume you are looking at them instead of at a distant spot over their shoulder.  In the Phoenix viewer, you can go into Preferences >> Phoenix >> Shields and disable the BROADCAST CAMERA FOCUS POINT option so that other people can't see what direction you're looking.

That's what I've been wondering. I've since found the Character>Show Look At option and have disabled the Broadcast Camera Focus Point Rolig Loon has described but I've always wondered if there's some gadget that would notify me when I'm being perved. I've looked a many of the spy huds available in the Marketplace but can find none that mention this as a feature. I'm guessing that this amy somehow be disallowed by SL. The huds all seem to concentrate on notification of nearby avis and who's on and maybe where they are and protection against griefers and attack but none seem to offer any kind of notification for when your profile or avi is being focused on my another avatar. If nothing like that exists, it could be a gold mine for a developer to create.

The crosshairs give you a rough idea. Everybody knows we get perved but it would be interesting to know when and by whom. It might help facilitate conversation. Why bother trying to talk to someone who's shown you no interest? But anyway it might all be moot if the viewer software doesn't allow it. I was just wondering if there was such a thing and if so, how to do it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4904 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.