You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 316 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm using the latest FS Viewer and have been taking pics using DoF without a problem - until now. 

About an hour ago, I had a shot all lined up, DoF was absolutely perfect with the focal point being beautifully sharp and a perfectly subtle blurred background.

Then I received a sudden request from a friend to tp them to my location, so rather than taking the snap quickly, I dropped it, thinking I'll set it up again later, which I've often done without issue.

Wrong. No matter what I do, I can't get the DoF working again. Both the focal point and the background are either as sharp as a tack, or hopelessly blurred. 

Perhaps I've been going over and over my settings for too long (been at this location for over an hour now trying to work out why DoF is misbehaving) and have gone over and over old how-to posts, which contain nothing that I didn't already know and haven't already checked.

Have tried messing around with the FOV, Foc Length, CoC and the Resolution with no success whatsoever.

Is it just me, or are there times when it just messes up and there's nothing you can do but wait?

Edited by AnyaJurelle
typo

Updated graphics card - issue still persists with DoF. Had a Windows 10 update two or three days ago, but I don't think that's to blame (for a change), given that it was working perfectly from the update until last night.

Pulling my hair out now...might try banging my head on a brick wall next...

Perhaps more information might help someone spot what might be the problem with DoF suddenly going dead as a door nail.

Specs:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40GHz (2396.52 MHz)
Memory: 8095 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 16299)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce 820M/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 23.21.13.9077
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.77

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.47.0 OpenSSL/1.0.1i zlib/1.2.8
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.9.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.61
LLCEFLib/CEF Version: 1.5.3-(CEF-WIN-3.2526.1347-32)
LibVLC Version: 2.2.4
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (Dark)
Window size: 1366x715 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 32 m
Bandwidth: 550 kbit/s
LOD factor: 4
Render quality: Medium-Low (2/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: No
Texture memory: 1024 MB (1)
VFS (cache) creation time (UTC): unknown
Built with MSVC version 1800
Packets Lost: 466/140,455 (0.3%)
February 18 2018 01:02:43 SLT

Example: Here's three pics just taken to demonstrate what I mean - you'll see that the only thing I'm able to change is light and shadows, nothing else:

1.thumb.png.1e59d0071638669ef81d95622f61f079.png2.thumb.png.453806fd5207bcbf783e231169962aaa.png3.thumb.png.3ae5cb742eb9cfaadde4d860bb3c023e.png

Really hope someone might know what's causing this; have been over my settings again and again, but can't spot a blessed thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Eleven days, one support ticket, three clean installs, several hours of peppering, nagging, hassling and hissing at Google with umpteen questions while checking and double checking settings - silence reigns supreme - except for a single notification five days ago that the support ticket was buried moved (sorry - warped sense of humour - couldn't resist).

Some months ago I had a graphics problem with water when taking photos in ultra settings; Whirly knew exactly what it was (she needs to be cloned because if Whirly doesn't know something, then it isn't worth knowing) and said it was a bug that only two people noticed - I was one of them. She's a genius and got me back up and running within minutes right when I was beginning to think I'd lost my marbles.

Welp - marbles are on the move again and am only adding a comment here to keep the thread from vanishing into obscurity.

Although it would be heartbreaking to hear that my machine has reached it's use-by date already, I'd rather know than keep running around in circles like a headless chicken.

*queue sound of crickets*

/end wailing and gnashing of teeth

• Sad 1

Any chance you have your build menu open and minimized?  DOF disappears with build "active".  There may be some other windows that negate DOF also, but build is the only one that has been an issue for me. 

Edited by Chic Aeon

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2018 at 11:49 AM, AnyaJurelle said:

Thank you for replying, Chic. No, I'm a real fussy thing when it comes to details like that.

Just wanted to let you know that I have been having your same issue.  DOF just 'quits' and I can't get it back. Another session it will work fine or for awhile. I have nothing open that would cause a problem, so there is an issue. And I am using the latest FS viewer also, likely that is the problem. Seeing if it does the same thing with another viewer might be wise. I don't use DOF all that often so not a huge deal. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone. :D

27 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Just wanted to let you know that I have been having your same issue.  DOF just 'quits' and I can't get it back. Another session it will work fine or for awhile. I have nothing open that would cause a problem, so there is an issue. And I am using the latest FS viewer also, likely that is the problem. Seeing if it does the same thing with another viewer might be wise. I don't use DOF all that often so not a huge deal. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone. :D

Thank you very much, Chic - I really appreciate that. Have been looking at others' photos in Flickr and occasionally spotting similar issues where it looks (at least, to me) like some of their DoF's seem to be a bit McGoo as well, so defs seems to be something going on.

Thank you so much again, Chic, for the heads up..glad I'm not losing my marbles! (was about to start looking for them, too haha)

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Rhody Spyker said:

I'm having the same issue: no depth of field. all the setting are correct. 

This post is three years old (always good to check the date). So there  is likely no connection with THEN and NOW.  

There WERE changes made in  DOF in the new FS. Did you try and see if you have the same issues in the Linden viewer (or another viewer you have installed)?  That would be a first step.  Also in case I didn't say it three years ago, you can't get DOF with the BUILD menu open. That has tricked me a few times in the past.  

Edit: If you DID just install the new FS viewer then reading up on how the new DOF works would be a good plan. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
punctuation
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Now we are another 2,5 years further and the DoF feature of Firestorm release 6.5.6.66221 on a MAC does not work for me.  I have DoF on, I also clicked on Depth of Filed focus fools pointer and the whole picture remains blur when DoF is enabled.  The background looks slightly less blur than my main subject who is right in front of the camera. 

I do Alt _ left click on the eye.  The cursor of the mouse jumps then to another position (by coincidence still on my subject) but the focus remains blur.  I am sure that this used to work before, although the focus lock (Alt + Shift + X) never worked for me. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 316 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.