WTF is "all alpha hair" ???

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2281 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

35 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

You are making my point that buyers just need to examine demos in all possible use cases they want to consider. Because there is simply no way that you can be totally assured that a creator has done so, and there never will be. He might test all sorts of conditions but not Linux, and wind up with some bug associated only with Linux. The solution: demo. 

How do you propose to be aware of potential issues before things get to the demo stage?

I would suggest simply that anyone creating content, including anyone uploading mesh or using full-perms mesh components they've bought, and also anyone using materials or other settings requiring advanced graphics to be turned on,  checks things at all stages using the Official Viewer at default settings and also at lower graphics settings than they'd normally use.

I've been caught like this several times -- things I''m working on that look good to me on my PC don't look anywhere near as good if I check them out using my laptop (and particularly if I set the laptop to use the integral Intel graphics rather than the Nvidia gpu that made it quite expensive, even though the item was in a sale).    

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

I would suggest simply that anyone creating content, including anyone uploading mesh or using full-perms mesh components they've bought, and also anyone using materials or other settings requiring advanced graphics to be turned on,  checks things at all stages using the Official Viewer at default settings and also at lower graphics settings than they'd normally use.

I've been caug

Yes, I know this is what is suggested. My point is that a buyer cannot assume it has been done, unless you know the creators work well enough to take the chance. 

The solution, as always, is to try the demo in all situations and conditions  in which you will or could possibly ever be using it. Only then can you know for sure if something suits you.

Edited by Pamela Galli

@Pamela Galli I understand why you are suggesting that, and our two recommendations complement each other.  I'm simply trying to encourage creators to take all possible steps to ensure that, when the buyer comes to rez the demo object, it looks to the buyer as the creator expects it should look, and thus not lose a sale (and possibly that customer's future business) because something that looks good to the creator looks horrible to the customer.

45 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

@Pamela Galli I understand why you are suggesting that, and our two recommendations complement each other.  I'm simply trying to encourage creators to take all possible steps to ensure that, when the buyer comes to rez the demo object, it looks to the buyer as the creator expects it should look, and thus not lose a sale (and possibly that customer's future business) because something that looks good to the creator looks horrible to the customer.

Yes I understand: you’re speaking of an ideal, a goal for creators to aspire to and work towards.

I am talking about right here right now what buyers can do to ensure they get what they want, in spite of whatever  choices a creator makes.  

4 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

Or maybe just provide a demo. Then customers can take some responsibility for making sure what they are buying is what they want. 

You are not wrong, but the trouble with this alpha hair is that it only works on Windows... you might see the demo correctly but the rest of the world doesn't and quietly supresses a laugh each time they see you. 

Demos yes, but it's about time creators also step up to the plate a little and stop being bad. Mod would be nice, for one thing, a little careful masking can likely remove the bug.

@Innula Zenovka and @Pamela Galli --- You are both saying the same sensible thing. The only difference is that Innula is focusing on the creator and Pam is focusing on the end user. It's clearly wise for anyone buying anything to get a demo before shelling out a lot of L$ for something that may look terrible. Creators typically don't have the option of buying demo components, however, so Innula's advice is for creators to be sure to view things at the LL default LOD setting before releasing them into the wild -- along with the demos that their customers will expect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2281 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.