Rigged Clothing works fine in blender, but looks wrong in world.

Ickarus0

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2238 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Optimo, I just wanna say thank you so, SO much for your help. I'm at work right now so I can't test what you've suggested, but I'll give it a shot. 

Also- I'd like to note: I submitted a support ticket to avatar last week and they responded with the text and image below (that is their screenshot of the harness, not mine). In short: they got it to work, but it involved uploading the model in the T-Pose and deleting the shape keys. I asked them to clarify because I wasn't sure how to do what they did, but they never got back to me. I tried adjusting the pose of the character before binding and uploading and even deleted the shape keys like they said, but I think I was doing it incorrectly as I got the same issue. I figured I'd share this with you.

Again, thank you so much for the help. You've put a lot of time into helping me figure this out, and I am so, so grateful that people like you exist in this community. I'll try and give it a shot when I get home tonight.

image.jpg

ticket.png

Edited by Ickarus0
  • Like 1

I didn't notice the shapekeys, really. That is also good advice. 

As Etheria says in her message, to test the collision volume bones and how it works with shapes, she had to remove the shape keys in order to tell Avastar to add them again, anew. So, TPose first as it is the only one actually working, shape keys removal and then all the rest as previously explained. 

Good to see that you're getting in the right direction :)

• Like 1

Hi optimo-

So I went and deleted the original rig, and have added 'rig only' through avastar, but I can't seem to get the harness to bind to the rig now. The character moves with the rig, but it won't transfer any of the weights or vertex groups over to the harness. I tried using bind to armature set to meshes, and it just does nothing. If I set meshes to 'bones' the harness follows the character as it moves, but then the little rivets of the harness go crazy whenver it gets moved. Any suggestions?

Edit- Yep- I tried uploading it this way, and it seems to have fixed the shape issue. The issue now is that I'm not sure what to do about it not wanting to pull weights from the mesh, but the bones only.

Edited by Ickarus0

On 2/13/2018 at 5:04 AM, Ickarus0 said:

I tried using bind to armature set to meshes, and it just does nothing.

There aren't Avastar meshes to copy weights from. Scripts are very picky, and your JOMO meshes aren't the meshes Avastar is referring too, so scrap that. Do a simple binding and then copy the weights/data transfer yourself, it's your best bet. Also, since you modeled rivets as separate parts, be careful with them and, if necessary, separate them from the rest of the harness for an easier weights copy/manual weighting.

//derail start//

This is something i always said to the Avastar devs: too much automation and things become quickly incomprehensible or, at the very least, very much more complicated than they actually are/need to be. Beginners may be led to believe that a few clicks in a given order and without any previous background in the field would be enough with all that automation, but as you can see there are some pitfalls one can easily fall for. Do this for a few years of improvements, and you end up with an unreasonably buttons packed panel and a myriad of issues and users assistance requests. To me, when you make a plug in you "win" if it is so simple in its layout that one short series of videos should be enough to NOT receive any assistance request.

//derail end//

Keep up the good work man!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I've been fighting a war of attrition with the jomo bento fox model and I have a number of observations which you may have over looked (I've made a dozen or so weight parent dummies to test on beta grid slowly improving some then having a major back track).  FIRST, as mentioned, the publicly available devkit is prebento.  This by itself doesn't matter.  The actual body is STILL prebento, if you dissect the body in world youll notice that the hands and head are essentially detached meshes with a layer of faces that share space from the hands to the base of the wrist and the neck to the base of the top of the chest.  In fact, the bottom face loop of the bento head is a separate material face mapped to the top face loop of the chest/back UV.   SECOND.  THE DEV KIT IS WRECKED BY THAT GOD AWFUL WIRE FRAME MODIFIER.  theres loose geometry _EVERYWHERE_.  You have to clean the thing up, get rid of those stupid inner edges and the loose geometry then fill the faces, there will be some nasty side effects though.  The nose turns in to a nasty nGon as well as the belly button area.  THIRD.  THE IN WORLD MODEL IS NOT FULL FIT MESH.  It's mixed.  Try adjusting torso muscles.  The chest doesnt puff out because the CHEST volume isn't represented, it's been swapped with the mChest weights. same thing with the legs, throw the leg muscle slider up and down.  Notice the shins not moving?  the knee to ankle is mixed standard and volume.  The last part I'm recalling is the wrist area.  Half of the lower arm area is volume rigged towards the bicep and fades to standard rigging towards the wrist.  The supplied model is rigged entirely to volumes, that's why (in part) if you male-ize the rig in blender it goes from mild mannered fox to a squat barrel chested version of arnold schwartzeneggar from his hay day.  FINALLY, and this is the most galling, THE IN WORLD MALE MODEL WAS CLEARLY RIGGED TO A MALE ARMATURE.  There's no deep dark secret errors in the male SL armature, it has necessary base volume bone translations to distribute volume deforms differently.  The problem is the supplied model isn't rigged to a male-ized armature, so on top of it being entirely volume rigged the volume translations make it go all wrong, the CHEST volume rotates backward and get larger, the BELLY volume does a similar movement, and generally all of the bones are slightly altered.  So, long story short, the model as supplied won't work as a weight source with out major clean up and alterations.  Your best bet is to do the base clean up of the mesh, duplicate the armature to a second layer, male-ize that rig, then on the unmale-ized one delete all the rig constraints and move/rotate/resize the armature bones to match up with the male rig in pose mode, apply the shape keys and armature to the mesh and unparent, then rig it to the male-ized armature.  Then export and upload the weight parent dummy to beta and throw the kitchen sink at it with adjusting body shape sliders and using something like the TMT pose pad to put it in extreme poses to see how poorly it's deforming, but it'll still require clean up and more testing depending on how extensive you want to correct the errors and how much of the body you want to account for.  If you're just going to make say, shorts and t-shirt type clothes you probably won't have to do much correction.  If you want a full body suit (which is what I'm aiming towards) you'll have to clean it up more significantly because the elbows and knees seam to be the worst off areas of deformation.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2238 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.