Bad lags when decorating with detailed mesh items- Help needed

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2331 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone .  Having serious lag problem in any house or land that i move too , after i'm adding mesh decor and furnishes the house..

In the past years i' m decorating of course only with mesh because i love how it looks and just can't go back to the old prims look. Usually i use items from the top mesh furniture and decor stores in sl and sometimes gachas too . But in  any land i move too, no matter on which sim or estate, at first when i just a rezz a house and it's all empty i have no lags at all.. and when i'm adding the decor, slowly i start to feel more lags , until by the time i m done decorating the house, i can barely walk. This ruins for me the experiance of having a home in sl and  decorating it the way i want too. I invest money and effort for doing it and in the past years i couldnt almost  enjoy it so i feel all the investment was for nothing. I have the bad lag also in every sim which is highly detailed with of lots of mesh items and landscape , but in my house i didnt even start to decorate outside and still it's bad . I have few close friends that comes to visit many times and they also experaince the lags..they both use laptops which aren't great, but one of them using a brand new laptop even tho it's not one  for gamers and it dont have great ram and graphic card.. , etc..

Some info about my PC- it's a desktop , i have it around 4 years and a half , i guess almost 5.  It's intel core i5-3470 cpu @ 3.20 GHz  . Ram is 4 gb and graphic card is NVIDIA Geforce GT 630         . My internet connection is very fast so it's not about that.

I know the computers are not that good but i thought it will be still enough for home decor, didn't think that i would be barely able to move.

I usually have the graphics on high at the viewer , with advanced lighting on and draw distance at 128.  I tried to turn off the advanced lighting model off and it was slightly better, but still laggy , and i love the view much more when it's on , so i turned it back on.

Can anyone give an advice, tips or help about improving the lag issue and have an idea of why it happens every time?

Having a home in sl and decorating it is one of my favorites things to do in sl and it's really bothers me that i can't enjoy even at my home. So will apperciate any tip or help .  Big thanks and sorry for the length lol.

Edited by Natalia280

Hi Natalia —I have a very powerful iMac, and keep my draw distance around 96, LOD/ object detail 2.5, and only use shadows for pictures, and usually have no problem with lag. If I had your machine I would turn down all my settings except ALM to mid or low. That said, the more  objects and textures you have to Rez, the harder your computer will work. If after testing, specific objects create lag, you may have to do without them. 

8 hours ago, Natalia280 said:

top mesh furniture and decor stores in sl and sometimes gachas too

Aside from your computer not really being up to running SL as it would like to be run (which you know already), it is WELL-KNOWN that some of the most popular mesh creators make very pretty things but understand very little about how to make "game asset" mesh. The fact that the more "top mesh" you add the worse the lag gets leads me to suspect that is a major problem for you. I can think of a couple of top decor gacha sellers who are notorious for "laggy mesh" -- some so much so that role play sim will not alow them on their land. 

My only suggestion would be to try using just one creator's mesh in a room and see how that goes, then another and "possibly" figure out what (whos) is causing the  issues. You either need to use mesh with fewer vertices (and possibly smaller textures as that can be a big problem if a creator uses a bunch of 1024 textures on one piece of furniture (cringe)). 

You could get a friend with a better computer to come over and see how the lag is.  But it seems like it is a combo of a slow computer and some less than well-made mesh. 

• Like 1

Thank you both . i did have yesterday also a friend with a great desktop computer and she said she didn't have lag at all, so i guess a lot of it is also due to the pc.

For Pamella , yes i have lots of your stuff which i love alot :), but it's not specifically with your stuff , because i tried to decorate in different houses and used also stuff from other stores, because i change a bit in every house , but it happens always when i decorate with detailed mesh, usually by the time i m done decorating indoor.  I will try the tips you both gave, reducing some of the items and lowering the viewer's setting ,i guess i will have to do it until i will get better computer ..but the view is also really important for me, it's why i am not that happy about lowering the viewer's setting ..and also even if i will get a computer some of my friends will still experaince the lags, so it's hard to invite some of them over. i will try to do different combos of items and will hope for good ,too bad i cant use the ones i want too lol..

-Weak graphics card

-unoptimized high detail objects

-Running on extremely high settings

I mean, those are your problems there. Your PC isnt up to the task of running a viewer showing that many complex mesh items. A GPU upgrade would probably help, as a GT 630 is a very weak card but would run SL fine otherwise. But if you want high detail with lots of mesh you're gonna need a little bit more than what the GT 630 has to offer.

Edited by cykarushb

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2331 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.