Physics vs. sim crossings

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2346 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been trying to get a clear understanding of how the physics engine behaves at sim crossings. I've been testing in a sandbox that's an island of two sims. It's a pure sandbox, cleared every 4 hours, and there's almost nothing there. Landowner of both sims is "Governor Linden", group "Maintenance". So it's a clean test situation.

I can rez objects on either side of the boundary. I can move non-physical objects across the boundary with the Move Tool. But if I rez a simple physical object ("Beach Ball"), from Library, and try to push it across the sim boundary with my avatar, I get "Can't move object ... because your objects are not allowed for this parcel". If I try to move a physics object with the Move Tool, I get "Can't reposition - permission denied".

That's more restrictive than I'd expected. Physics objects are clearly locked into one sim here.

None of this is well documented. I found an old Region Crossing Test test plan from Linden Labs. If SL passed that test, region crossing would work a lot better than it does.

cannotcross.png

cannotreposition.png

Edited by animats
Tried another test.

So I try the same experiment at a different location, another 2 sim island that allows building, but with a short return time.

There, the ball sinks into the ground at the sim crossing, but can be moved across it with the Move Tool. There are no error messages.

What's going on here?

simcrossing2.png

Edited by animats
Fix typo.

There is a parcel setting called 'allow object entry'..

'build' determines if you can REZ a prim on a parcel, 'object entry' determines if you can MOVE a physical object across a parcel border.

Go to the Madlands, and stand on any piece of "LL Protected Griefer Prim Access Strip" (Madlanders call these "roads"), they all have 'object entry' enabled so physical griefer prims, spawning at a car rezzing port, can tumble across from sim to sim (and so Madlander Max, the Prim Warrior,  can drive the Last of the V8 Primterceptors around the Madlands)...

On 11/19/2017 at 7:06 PM, Klytyna said:

There is a parcel setting called 'allow object entry'..

'build' determines if you can REZ a prim on a parcel, 'object entry' determines if you can MOVE a physical object across a parcel border.

Go to the Madlands, and stand on any piece of "LL Protected Griefer Prim Access Strip" (Madlanders call these "roads"), they all have 'object entry' enabled so physical griefer prims, spawning at a car rezzing port, can tumble across from sim to sim (and so Madlander Max, the Prim Warrior,  can drive the Last of the V8 Primterceptors around the Madlands)...

I love all your posts Klytyna

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2346 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.