Mesh body disappearing

Shaade Fallen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2440 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello all~

Lately i've been having issues with my mesh body disappearing/not rendering properly for other people after TPing to a new location.

I've just been relogging every time I TP to fix it up to the point, but that's really starting to get quite tedious.

Is there any other way around this? Or at least some quick/easy and reliable way to tell if my body is showing properly for others?

The body is the 'Tonic Fine Beauty' mesh, and i'm using the latest Firestorm viewer for 64 bit windows~

3 answers to this question

If you can see your mesh body on your screen but NO observers can see it at all, then the body attachment likely ghosted on teleport, ie) your viewer still thinks the body is attached, but the region thinks it's not worn. Because the region thinks the bosy isn't worn, observers cannot see it.
When this ghosting happens, if you try & detach the body, you won't be able to take it off to re-attach it - this is because the viewer sends a detach request to the region & the region tells the viewer the body isn't worn so the detach request is expired. 

This ghosting has a much much higher chance of happening to stack attachments (when more then one attachment is worn on the same attachment spot) so making sure the bodyt is the only thing worn on the attachment point should cut down the number of ghosting instances dramatically.

1 hour ago, Shaade Fallen said:

Is there any other way around this? Or at least some quick/easy and reliable way to tell if my body is showing properly for others?

To tell if your body is ghosted, try to detach the body & if it won't detach, it's ghosted.
Also, if you are wearing the Body HUD, see if the HUD is communicating with the body by changing an alpha section for example.
If the body  (or HUD) is ghosted, the body will not respond to the HUD.

If you get stuck with a ghosted attachment, on Firestorm, go to Avatar -> Avatar Health -> Refresh attachments.
Your body should then be unghosted & you won't need to relog.

If you want to keep a track on ghosted attachments, activate the Advanced menu in the top menu bar with CTRL+ALT+D.
Advanced -> Show debug settings -> FSExperimentalLostAttachmentsFixReport -> Set to TRUE.
You will then receive a report to nearby chat if a kill object message was received during TP or region crossing and also for which object, so it allows checking if those attachments are still there and working.

The "Refresh attachments" feature & FSExperimentalLostAttachmentsFixReport logging are Firestorm specific features.
The ghosting attachment bug affects all viewers though.

• Like 5

Your problem is a bit strange...

When you don't see the body that is usually caused by connection issues. When relogging fixes it, that is more confirmation it is the connection. You have to test the connection from you to the SL servers. A generally good Internet connection means nothing when talking about a specific server on the net.

Others not seeing you also suggests a bad connection.

The SL System uses the UDP protocol for a number of things. One of which is updates to your appearance. So, it would not be surprising to have you and the server get out of sync as to what you are wearing. But, to have some see you when you don't and you see yourself when others don't is a bit odd.

To troubleshoot the issue I suggest you start with the common problem of connection. When that is eliminated we can move on. Use this info to test: http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

You can look at your Current Outfit Folder (COF) to see what the server thinks you are wearing. You can compare that to your Outfit in Appearance to see what you should be wearing. If the viewer is getting out of sync with the server these would be different. You might check to see if the COF changes after TP. It shouldn't.

Check the size of your main cache. It should be as large as your computer will handle. Bigger is better, especially with a weak connection.

To be able to know if there is a hardware problem on your end, not likely to affect others, you need to always provide your computer and viewer specs when asking a tech question. Use HELP->ABOUT... to gather the info and post in with your question.

Also, know which body is being a problem for you is helpful. All the big name bodies work for everyone.

Your ACI and script weight affect teleports. More so with a weak connection. Script weight is the more important of the two. What are your ACI and script weight?

Once the tp data pack size (made of the number of attachments and script program data size) is large enough to cause problems, the results are unpredictable. 

Summary: check your ACI, script weight, and connection quality.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

If you get stuck with a ghosted attachment, on Firestorm, go to Avatar -> Avatar Health -> Refresh attachments.
Your body should then be unghosted & you won't need to relog.

I haven't every had this happen but an excellent tip! Who knew how handy Avatar Health could be. I just use it to stop animations LOL. 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2440 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.