Desktop For SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2444 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been using my old laptop (very laggy for SL) and hubby's desktop for SL. His desktop has a great processor but the graphics card is not great. Therefore, I am looking to buy my own desktop. I found a couple that are within my budget and was wondering if those with the knowledge of graphics cards can give me their thoughts/feedback. Thanks so much in advance!

I also welcome other recommendations as well.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-omen-by-hp-desktop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hard-drive-brushed-aluminum/5759916.p?skuId=5759916

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-ultra-desktop-amd-fx-series-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-460-1tb-hard-drive-black/5615009.p?skuId=5615009

ClariceRose, I'll be interested to read any responses you get.  I've been using a laptop for SL for 7 years now.  Lag, poor rezzing, and semi-visible avatars are too much to bear any longer!  I'm in the market for the best desktop, too.  Thanks for posting your question.

• Like 1

The HP Omen with the crippled GTX 1600 3 GB over the completely outdated and lame FX 4300 one ... but I don't really like either one.

It's hard to tell from those choices which your actual budget limit is. Below $600 or up to $700? Or more?
Do you need any additional parts, like a keyboard, mouse or a monitor?
Do you do any gaming, besides the needs of SL, or any other tasks worth mentioning?
Would it be an option to order single parts and have a custom setup built for you?

Those questions are directed at anyone seeking a setup.

EDIT: Well. After browsing BestBuy, Newegg, Amazon and the store stites of IBuyPower and some other, there are amazingly stunning 2 (!) other prebuilt systems which seem worth mentioning to me. Which doesn't mean that I'm completely happy with either one, though...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cybertronpc-palladium-desktop-intel-core-i5-7400-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-1tb-hdd-black/5844200.p?id=&skuId=5844200 ... best balanced option for my liking, OKish price.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071NG75BW/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I37KPVXH1RDRA3&colid=ESUJ8YBZDNZU ... better graphics, the case looks well ventilated with 3 fans, plus extra WiFi option if you depend on it.

... the HP Omen placing in the middle of those two...

Tomorrow, I'll probably update my Newegg wishlist for a balanced SL build. The old one is missing some items in stock, but featured a $110 monitor, keyboard/mouse, OS and all parts for roughly $760 in total. Plus setup costs.

Edited by Lillith Hapmouche
  • Like 1

Custom parts recommendation for a well-balanced SL setup, as of August 16th: 

~ in total $ 591 with 8GB RAM or $ 659 with 16 GB RAM.

+ OS, if you don't have any spare licenses to use:

+ peripherals, if needed:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ClariceRose said:

I've been using my old laptop (very laggy for SL) and hubby's desktop for SL. His desktop has a great processor but the graphics card is not great.

If all his desktop is lacking is a decent graphics card, why not just replace the graphics card? You would get a really good one for a fraction of the cost of a whole computer.

21 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

The HP Omen with the crippled GTX 1600 3 GB over the completely outdated and lame FX 4300 one ... but I don't really like either one.

It's hard to tell from those choices which your actual budget limit is. Below $600 or up to $700? Or more?
Do you need any additional parts, like a keyboard, mouse or a monitor?
Do you do any gaming, besides the needs of SL, or any other tasks worth mentioning?
Would it be an option to order single parts and have a custom setup built for you?

Those questions are directed at anyone seeking a setup.

EDIT: Well. After browsing BestBuy, Newegg, Amazon and the store stites of IBuyPower and some other, there are amazingly stunning 2 (!) other prebuilt systems which seem worth mentioning to me. Which doesn't mean that I'm completely happy with either one, though...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cybertronpc-palladium-desktop-intel-core-i5-7400-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-1tb-hdd-black/5844200.p?id=&skuId=5844200 ... best balanced option for my liking, OKish price.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071NG75BW/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I37KPVXH1RDRA3&colid=ESUJ8YBZDNZU ... better graphics, the case looks well ventilated with 3 fans, plus extra WiFi option if you depend on it.

... the HP Omen placing in the middle of those two...

Tomorrow, I'll probably update my Newegg wishlist for a balanced SL build. The old one is missing some items in stock, but featured a $110 monitor, keyboard/mouse, OS and all parts for roughly $760 in total. Plus setup costs.

Thank you Lilith for taking the time to give me your feedback and advice! My budget is about $850 which will include the computer, monitor (may be able to get a second hand one from a friend), mouse and build in OS - Win 10. I'll add your links and feedback to my research folder.

6 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Custom parts recommendation for a well-balanced SL setup, as of August 16th: 

~ in total $ 591 with 8GB RAM or $ 659 with 16 GB RAM.

+ OS, if you don't have any spare licenses to use:

+ peripherals, if needed:

I am trying to avoid having it custom built as I am not techie at all. I also have had people steal packages off of my porch, so am trying to avoid having computers, computer parts having to be shipped to me. Unfortunately, I only have Best Buy and a few other places near me that would have a semi decent computer for SL. I do not play really any other games (I don't think of SL as a game though), so I'm looking for a decent one for SL. I also am a freelancer and need a faster, better computer than my laptop.

6 hours ago, angeoco said:

If all his desktop is lacking is a decent graphics card, why not just replace the graphics card? You would get a really good one for a fraction of the cost of a whole computer.

He uses his desktop for his studio stuff, he makes music, so at times we are wanting to use it at the same time, so I'd like my own. I also would like a desktop downstairs, as his is upstairs.

6 hours ago, Quinn Lysette said:

Is this one that you have, Quinn? I think I read somewhere that you were complaining about a NVIDIA card?

Holy crap, multi replies... 9_9

The philosophical question whether SL should be considered as a game or not doesn't have a point here - the requirements to run it in a proper way put it in moderate gaming requirements, plain and simple. No idea what your freelance work might require, a faster CPU or graphics or more storage.

Is one of those few other places a local computer store, by chance? Then I'd suggest taking my custom parts list to it and ask for their price, including setup, or their offer along those lines. I'll happily check any of such offers.

I also looked at Quinn's suggestion for a while and eventually found it a tad too expensive. The Ryzen 1400 does have "hyperthreading", but is slightly slower clocked than the Ryzen 1300x which "merely" runs with 4 cores / 4 threads instead of 8 threads. And SL still profits from higher single clock speed than anything else. 
More core and more threads become interesting if you do intense multitasking.

I'm also absolutely no fan of those '§!=$ GTX 1060 cards with just 3 GB VRAM. It isn't just less VRAM, the whole card has a different setup than the supposedly similar GTX 1060 with 6 GB. They aren't alike, they don't perform on the same level. Those are typical 0815-OEM-stock-PC cards for people who don't really know better.
As said before, I consider the GTX 1050 ti the sweetspot for SL right now in terms of costs and the total technical package. AMD is still sold out to bitcoin miners, so there's barely any chance to get any cards, except for the low end level.

EDIT:
Noticed a quite nice 25'' screen on sale at BestBuy... 
A second hand one should have digital connectors, at least DVI or HDMI, DisplayPort at best.

EDIT #2:

Hmm, must have been too sleepy last night and missed this: ABS Prime-1400 Gaming Desktop ALA066 for $675 ... aren't there any options for a delivery straight into your hands, no dropping, no handing to neighbors or anything like personal pickup from the post office or such?
Add a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, currently on sale at BestBuy for $103, and if you can get a monitor for around $70, you got your budget well spent.

Edited by Lillith Hapmouche

19 hours ago, ClariceRose said:

Is this one that you have, Quinn? I think I read somewhere that you were complaining about a NVIDIA card?

naw i just buy the parts at newegg an put em together

soon il upgrade to this parts 

ASUS Prime B350M-A/CSM  - cuz its cheap or just get another gigabyte

AMD RYZEN 5 1600X 6-Core 3.6 GHz - cuz its cheaper then intel and better

HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4 2400MHz DRAM CL15 - cuz its cheap

5 hours ago, Quinn Lysette said:

hey clarise 1 more thing i completely highly recomend is get a 65 inch 4k tv i stilll dont know how its gona look  right now im usin my 1080p 60 inch tv for sl and i defently wanna get that 4k tv not just for sl i wanna watch season 2 of stranger things in 4k an other tv shows

I am just fine with a 24 inch monitor, that it way too big for me lol.

" Hmm, must have been too sleepy last night and missed this: ABS Prime-1400 Gaming Desktop ALA066 for $675 ... aren't there any options for a delivery straight into your hands, no dropping, no handing to neighbors or anything like personal pickup from the post office or such?
Add a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, currently on sale at BestBuy for $103, and if you can get a monitor for around $70, you got your budget well spent. "

Not that I know of, I have never done a personal pickup. I have an outside screened in porch but I have had things stolen off of it. :(

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2444 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.