Sizes other than the standard sizes

Slayora DeSantis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2465 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi All:

I was wondering: I'm learning the mesh thing now...just starting..and I was wondering if I can make clothes to any shape I wish, instead of by the standard sizes? Most of the 'standard' sizes don't fit my av, and I'm tired of having to go to my matrieya hud and clicking on the alphas to keep my skin from poking through..lol.

• Like 1

I sympathize with your frustration about having to readjust alpha masks and your shape to compensate for what other designers think you ought to look like. I have wasted a lot of my own angst complaining about the same thing.  The simple answer is that you can make anything to any size and shape that you want  -- especially if you are designing for yourself.  The wiser answer is that standardization is there for a good reason.  Most people -- other than you and me -- like being able to change their own shape once, and then use standard sizes that fit it.  If you miss that point, chances are pretty good that you will have a harder time selling your clothes.  "Standard" sizes still are not truly standard in SL, but they are a lot better than in RL.  You might as well go with the flow.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 1

Eventually --- after you have mastered "standard sizes" AND if you like making clothing you will want to learn how to make "fitmesh" and the garments that work on the mesh bodies. Mesh bodies are over three years old now (some four) and a very large part of the clothing market is JUST for mesh bodies --- presumably as those are the folks that spend the most money on clothes, hence a better chance of sales. 

BUT mesh takes awhile to learn and clothing even longer, so just take your time. I do agree with Rolig. She and I were both here when mesh was introduced and people were making clothing to fit themselves. It was SO VERY MESSY. I deleted almost everything that came my way, so there IS a reason for standard sizing, but fitmesh is better it it works for more folks rather than having people have to conform to that standard size thing.

Good luck on your creation journey!

And don't forget to make DEMOS of your clothes so people can see how they fit. Very few folks will buy clothes without a demo these days :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2465 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.