Uploader automatically splitting object into additional prims

Suki Hirano

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2458 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know that the uploader will automatically separate the object into 2 prims if it detects it contains more than 8 faces, but my object has exactly 8 faces (0-7), uploader is still splitting it into 2 prims. Does anyone know what else might be causing this?

Edited by Suki Hirano

7 hours ago, Suki Hirano said:

I know that the uploader will automatically separate the object into 2 prims if it detects it contains more than 8 faces, but my object has exactly 8 faces (0-7), uploader is still splitting it into 2 prims. Does anyone know what else might be causing this?

No, the uploader spits mesh (somewhat inconsistently) when you have more than eight MATERIALS, not faces. Eight faces is nothing so perhaps you just misspoke there. 

This shouldn't be the case and I uploaded things with MANY faces as one mesh today both on the beta and regular grid so I think we need more information and a screenshot in order to understand what your problem was.  

• Like 1

The confusion arises because the materials (in Blender) exhibit in SL's editor as 'Select Face'.

You can have a lot of faces (using the Blender terminology), but each Object in the collada (.dae) file can only support 8 materials.  If any object has more than 8 materials assigned to it, then that object is split into two by some mysterious SL up-loader algorithm.  You can create more materials in Blender, but it's the number assigned to each object that matters.

Edited by anna2358
added details
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2458 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.